Tuesday, 22 June 2010

I Needed a Raincoat


Dear Reader
It is mid winter here in Sydney. The season started with a solid month of rain and very definite chilly weather. I wanted to make a proper long raincoat. I have to admit that I have an embarrasingly extensive collection of coat patterns, trench patterns, not to mention a shelf of Burdas but I decided on an old favourite, the out of print Vogue 2449. I'd made it twice before, once for my daughter and for myself. The photos are of me in my well loved well travelled grey wool version. The pattern calls for a lot of work, with sew-in interfacing the top back and tops of the (three part) sleeves as well as all the usual bits. The welt pockets, shields, epaulettes all with endless topstitching have kept me busy for days. I sometimes think I could have done a nice simple coat like the tartan version of the Simplicity 2508 Project Runway, pictured. I do love the asymetrical collar version. It is on my wish list.
Nevertheless, I love the Vogue and it is all starting to come together now and
I know it will be worth it. Have you seen what some of the high end lined and detailed raincoats cost? Four figures. A bit out of my budget.

I was lucky to come across the ideal material at Tessuti in York Street, Sydney. It is a black tightly woven poly viscose, which will be rain resistant but has a very nice weight and feel to it. The best thing is that it was in the bargain corner!
The cute buttons are from Tessuti as well.
Off to do some more sewing. It's raining out there. I just want to get it finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment