Tuesday, 24 August 2010

More Simple Sewing

Dear Friends
On my way back to sewing wonderful impractical labour intensive jackets that I love I agreed to make some scrubs for a work colleague. Our scrub pants and tops are supplied and come in three sizes that supposedly fit all. I hope I hear you snickering out there.
They are cut the same for men and for women and don't really take into account the myriad of variation in height, weight and shape of the human body, let alone the female gender, so if you are tiny or busty or hippy or extra tall or even pregnant you are in for ill fitting work clothes. So I am making my friend custom made pants.
Don't get me wrong I know full well how to say "No" to sewing requests that I don't want to do but sometimes it just feels right to use one's abilities for Good Universal Karma (and a little remuneration.)




I'm using Kwik Sew 2807. It is beautifully drafted pattern as is the usual for this company. I left off the inseam pockets and just added one patch pocket to the back. Elastic casing at the waist and machine sewn hems makes them quick to make. Two more to go!

Ah but after that this is what I have planned for a trans-seasonal jacket that I hope will be something special.



I've had this pattern for a while. It has been successfully reviewed by a variety of people on http://www.patternreview.com/ I still haven't decided whether or not I will include the bow, I like the other collar complete with rose better. I have the most beautiful soft silk velvet that I bought from The Fabric Shop in Sydney two seasons ago. I've bought some crackly silk organza to use for underlining to give it body. I'll whip up a very basic muslin first.



My yummy light and drapey silk velvet.
Happy sewing!


1 comment:

  1. Lovely pattern, hope you find some time for it soon.

    ReplyDelete