Monday, 18 October 2010

A Quick Cocktail Dress

Blogger Friends
As mentioned in my previous post I had a party at a fabulous venue to go to and needed a dressy dress without spending much money. This is a classic 'thank God I can sew' moment. I did have a RTW floaty silk dress that is more suited to summer parties - even if summer never arrives here the parties will - but it wasn't quite formal enough. I'd had a few ideas, a pattern and material or two in the stash. (Hundreds of each - one day I might post embarrasing photos of all my plastic tubs of stuff). I had this pattern

which is still in print but may be edging its way out of the catalogue.  I had some blue crinkle 'snakeskin' print georgette and some dark blue lining and made this. I had to convert the pleats of the bodice to gathers and take out the bunching of the crinkle until everything hung straight.






Do you remember the green shimmery trench that is really blue/yellow warp and weft threads? It went well with the dress and had a matching lining.
Just as well as it was a cool, cool night in Sydney.



Silver accessories added a bit of an edge. I'll write a review on PR and post more pictures. I'm having a terrible time getting photos up today.
Happy sewing.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful dress and how good was it that your shimmery trench matched so well. I can't believe that we are back in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dress. The fabric shows better in the hanger pictures. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the best sewer in the world. I absolutely love that dress and you look smashing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have declared Monday ~ Plug Your Mates Day and this week you are my mate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to learn to sew!!! thats dress doesnt look like something u just whipped up at home, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Nessa, and emerson-j sewing is therapy. Learn to sew, you won't regret it. There are lots of beginners on PatternReview.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look Gorgeous in that Dress..I Love the Fabric..
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

  8. It’s look so beautiful! I am enjoy and love it very much.and I love very much sexy and wonderful dress.
    Hope you had the greatest time living it up!!
    cheap tops

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is truly a great and helpful piece of information and nice collection.
    I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.
    sexy dress

    ReplyDelete