I am sitting here in my bicycle sweats, catching up on my favourite blogs, checking out some new ones and cooling down. It has been so nice to relax today, just cleaning house, shopping, getting out to exercise...all the normal things. Yesterday I finished the georgette fantasy based on V8182. I'd already done a wearable muslin. I then made the apricot and black one for my daughter's work Xmas party. Here are some photos.
I've cropped out my daughter's partner because I'm not sure if he wants to be on the internet but he looked very smart!
The oops! frill
The two added tiers to the bottom of the skirt look like a design feature but were actually a fix-it because the original skirt ended up too short. I had cut out the material one layer at a time but one piece ended up three inches too short on one side. Cutting material on the bias is better done on a sheet on the floor rather than on a slippery table. Lesson learnt. Anyway luckily I had extra georgette and I cut two layers of bias frill and attached them to the skirt lining. I had a horrible time trying to get them even. I had a terrible time with the whole skirt generally even though I had let the dress hang on a hanger before attempting any hemming. It just kept stretching... unevenly. I'd cut it even and it still ended up uneven. All this cutting contributed to it being too short so I added the frill.
She looked beautiful in the dress anyway. I'm not saying 'poor me'. I wanted it to be perfect for her.
* Edited to add I have since found that the material - a poly- acted quite strange on another project so it wasn't all me. That restored my confidence a bit. Another lesson learnt- for a special occasion dress do a quick modified muslin out of the SAME material to see if it is worth using. argh