Friday, 21 January 2011

Ruffles!

Dear people
So long between posts!
I haven't had as much time as I'd like to sew or post blog entries or read Pattern Reviews. January is speeding by and I've been busy planning a new adventure.
In the meantime I'm posting about ruffles. I keep seeing them everywhere. My favourite RTW worn over Christmas was a silk dress with ruffles around the neckline and down the centre front and back.

 and a hole through the ruffles at the waist both front and back for the belt. Clever!
For Aussies who read this it was a Jag dress, heavily discounted in an early pre-Christmas sale. Sweet!

I'd like to make a dress using the same idea so I made a little top from some white moderate stretch slub knit that I had in the stash using McCall's M5336, also in the stash, which is going to get severely culled soon. The material turned out to be a little bit heavy for a double ruffle but I am still pleased with the results.



It s funny how two different whites that looked almost identical in real life look so different in photos
Better with red. The material has already stretched a bit and needs taking in along the back centre seam but for a trial garment it is getting a lot of wear!
I first saw this pattern when Adrienne reviewed it on PR. See here. Isn't she a talented lady?

And take a look at this new Vogue pattern for a similar use of ruffles.

V1226
V1226

Speaking of new release Vogues I do like this as well

V1220
V1220 Isn't it gorgeous?

Happy sewing everyone.
Just an edit to say I first saw these two patterns featured on Inkstain's blog Chanel no.6. (on my blog reading list). I'd been avoiding looking at new patterns, especially Vogues. I have a new policy this year to try not to buy patterns ahead of time. I'll buy it and the material when I have time to get around to sewing it. That'll reduce my to-do stash!

3 comments:

  1. Love your Jag dress and agree that ruffles are everywhere, need to try some out myself as yours turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice top, you've made those ruffles work! I do love the last Vogue dress you showed and hope you do make it up, it will gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so stylish and classy, nice work!

    ReplyDelete