Friday, 4 February 2011

More ruffles or My First Successful Knockoff

Dear People
I'm glad to announce I've got my sewing mojo back! I lost it in the midst of daily hassles and just couldn't sew. I'm glad its back because sewing makes me feel that the world is sitting properly on its axis and is still revolving, as it should. I'm glad to announce that I've made my first successful knock-off. Do you remember the RTW Jag dress and the ruffle top?

The dress that started it all:  purchased RTW Jag silk dress


McCall 5336

Well for once I've followed through and made my first successful knock-off.


Ta Da! The Knock-Off Ruffle Dress!
I've made half baked semi-successful knock offs before that didn't really capture the look of the original but this one worked. (and excuse me modelling with wet hair straight out of the shower, we are having a week of intense heat in Sydney). The pattern used is the same one as for the ruffle top with the ruffles modified  to start at the shoulder seams, go wider and longer, especially in the front. It's made out of a soft slippery knit, Manhattan from Spotlight. I'm wearing the silk belt from the JAG outfit. It wouldn't be hard to make. It is just a straight interfaced belt with a bit of wide elastic inserted at each end and snaps.


All pattern pieces used are from McCalls M5336. I shortened the blouse pieces to the waist, added the straight skirt without darts, modified the ruffle pieces and hoped for the best. Here are the pieces:


Back

Front
The back was modified to give the back a V shape, like the original dress. Please note that the outer edges of the ruffle were expanded out to cover my linebacker shoulders - a total width of nine inches tapering down to the original width at the ends. I sort of drew it on the material with chalk as I was cutting out and ddin't do the paper thing. The neck edges were self bound. The frill edges have no finish as this material doesn't fray.



A PR review will follow.
Happy sewing!



4 comments:

  1. that dress is very flattering on you, it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I like your knock off better than the original. The colors in the print are really nice. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie, this is gorgeous. I live in Sydney too - so may run into in some fabric store one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail, thank you and welcome! It's quite possible.

    ReplyDelete