Sunday, 15 May 2011

Trying to keep it Light

Dear people,
I'm still a sewing (travel?) blogger of no fixed address. I can't have the luxury of a stash. I'm on the move, seeing things I've always wanted to see, shedding more than accumulating, living for today (once I have somewhere to sleep organized that is!)
I've been to London


The Scottish Highlands. I have a feeling it would take a brave man to wear this rather non traditional kilt. 



French Chateaus


Back to Paris. I can't begin to tell you how much there is to see and do in Paris. I have a feeling I don't need to. One of my favourite places is the lovely Sacre Coeur high on a hill in Montmarte.


Just down from Sacre Coeur is the garment fabric district. How could I not drop by there as well?




The fabulous Tissus Reine (pictured below) and the March Saint Pierre are on opposite corners to each other. I enjoyed the chance to feel fabric, look at fabric, browse catalogues and peruse buttons.





There are also many smaller fabric shops all the way around the corner. It was late afternoon and there were tables of bargains outside each shop.



I went back to Tissus Reine and came out with this lovely piece of Liberty for a summer tunic/smock.


It hardly weighs anything and I need the injection of colour amongst all my practical basics. I didn't buy any of a perfect soft dress-weight denim and that my sewing friends, is quite a feat.

3 comments:

  1. Valerie, I am so envious of you! Paris!! My favorite place in the world. Want to swap places and spend some time in freezing cold Melbourne ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be in Paris in January. What is the nearest Metro to these stores?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail the nearest metros are Anvers or Abbesses. Get hold of a detailed map of the area as even though it is a short walk it is easy to get lost in the maze-like streets. The fact that they are fascinating makes getting lost while popping into patisseries even easier. Tissus Reine opening times are
    Monday 2.30 pm to 6.30 pm
    Tuesday - Friday 9.30 am to 6.30 pm
    Saturday 9.45 to 7 pm
    Don't forget to go to the second level of the store for notions and unique pattern catalogues.
    If you get out at Abesses and are hungry walk down the Rue des Abesses in the other direction towards the Cimitiere for a street full of sidewalk brasseries.
    If you are there at night go up to Sacre Coeur for the view then go to the Place du Tetre, a square behind the church that is also full of amazing places to eat while watching sketch artists at work. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete