Sunday, 3 July 2011

I'm sewing again

Dear Readers of the Sewing Persuasion I know that you will understand  my need to acquire a sewing machine for my new home, even though it is a temporary one. I have a three month contract to nurse in a hospital in one of the UK's lovely medieval towns, the ancient seat of learning - Oxford. While this city has many architectural delights and cycle paths and plenty of bookstores and intriguing second-hand stores, it does lack in the sewing department. It took me a while to hunt down a second hand machine. I wanted something cheap but functional. Well I got cheap but functional was another matter, I had to call in an expert, also found via the internet to unjam and service my machine. But he did and now she goes like a rocket. This my 'New Home' in her new home.




The sewing machine man said I should be able to resell it quite easily. Now I can sew up my little stash and ease my soul with the smell of sewing machine oil as well. It feels so good. the first thing I did was an alteration. I'd seen a man's cotton shirt in a shop here and tried it on just as a whim. It fitted perfectly around the neck and shoulders but the sleeves were too long and it was too tight at the hips.



 So I took off the cuffs and unpicked the sides of the shirt to make deep vents and used the cuffs cut in half lengthways to make overlapped edgings for the vents.



So viola! Cross dressing.


I'm hoping you wouldn't know it was a man's shirt unless I told you. Next project:  a definitely female skirt!

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy your sewing machine. I like the transformation of the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great shirt, you are very creative. Enjoy your new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you need a sewing machine. I wouldn't know it was a man's shirt at all. Looks nice an airy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They thought it was quite funny at work and then started to joke about putting in sewing requests (no way!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats for being back to sewing! And what a lovely shirt, I hope you have the weather for it at the moment. (Here the last week was more raincoat and scarf...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had some beautiful sunny days, last weekend - bottom picture, setting out to go to a local fair with a friend - was 25 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great refashion! It looks great on you and so nice and summery

    ReplyDelete