Some months ago, in Brussels during this year's European PR Get-together, I acquired a piece of 'ugly' fabric.
Which became this skirt
The fabric - whose was it?
Some of the suspects
There is always a ugly fabric swap and this one took the form of pass-the-parcel.
I have to admit this piece ended up mine after a bit of furtive re-swapping had gone on and most of us had something that didn't make us secretly think charity bin, dye-pot or where's my shovel .. I jest dear reader. My previous pieces of outstandingly ugly fabric are still at home in storage because I do intend use them someday. Honest.
This piece at least was cotton of not too bad a quality. I thought of making a lined vest then I saw that there was a fault in the print down the centre of the whole piece. Aha - another challenge. I decided to make a simple pull on skirt with a six inch deep yoke and a gathered skirt, with a lining. I wanted a full skirt so I could wear the skirt and ride my bike. The lining was to beef up those gathers and preserve modesty. The gathering would also hide the fault in the print.
The skirt is self- drafted if you can call what I did drafting. It was more a case of measure, mark and cut on the material itself. The yokes were six inches deep. The width was half my hip circumference plus an inch of ease, the top edge had no ease but remained big enough for me to pull it on when finished. The skirt piece was a simple rectangle twice the width of the yoke piece and enough length to hit at the knee and two inches extra for hem. The front and back of the skirt are the same. The lining, made of inexpensive cotton voile has a really deep hem of five inches to give it a bit of weight.
The yoke is self faced. I left a little hole in the facing for elastic. Then turned the facing to the inside and stitched a line for the casing.
Measuring where to stitch.
The inside finished
I really like the contrasting lining that echoes a bit of deep brown-red in the flowers. I considered leaving it long enough to show beneath the skirt. When I finished the skirt I hopped on my bike and cycled into town (a common mode of transport in Oxford) and found that the skirt needs a weight at the hem to stop it flipping back a bit when I am pedaling. The lining, thankfully behaved itself. I think I needed a deeper hem on the skirt itself. I'll sew some little pockets and a few removable pennies will do the trick.