The Burdastyle shirtdress 117 May 2011 is finished. Brought to you from the ambience of my nurse's quarters.
I was trying to take pretty outdoor shots but it rained. How English! I am so pleased with how this dress turned out, for a number of reasons, the main one being I didn't ruin all that Liberty and two I have a tweaked pattern ready to use again and three the collar is comfortable. It is the first shirtdress I have ever made where I can just put it on and not be conscious of the collar. My fellow sewers it only took me forty years of sewing. May the rest of you have much faster results!
The altered un-poofed back. I have a little bit of overhang ease left anyway.
The dress is lined with cotton voile. The inner seams are finished off with a second straight line of stitching 1/8" in from the first. I didn't want to line the sleeves so those edges were finished last with plain zig-zag, as I don't have access to a serger. Having a lining meant I could hand stitch the hem to it and not have stitching show on the outside.
Close up of the skirt. I was coming back in from outside and one of my fellow housemates saw me in the hallway and remarked that she liked the dress and that it looked retro but modern. I thanked her and said that was the look I was trying to achieve.
I'll do a review on PR soon.