Monday, 22 August 2011

Knits - A Fast Sew up of NL6735

Dear friends, sewers, bloggers,

This is the story of three fast knits, three non-eventful basics. What makes me very pleased with them is that I made them on my sewing machine using two rows of zig zag on all the seams - just under 2mm in width, just over 2mm in length and a decorative stitch on the hems. I read a tip in a sewing magazine about stabilizing the hems with  fusible hemming tape so I experimented on a scrap. Any stitch that stretches is suitable and most machines will have a decorative stitch that looks like triangles in a ladder, or triangles off to one side. It worked! I thought the seams would look lumpy - hems too - but they didn't. They are just fine. This is a breakthrough for me as I remember my first zig-zag attempts at sewing knits years ago not looking very good.




It is hard to photograph black! The body was eased into the self band, smooths out when worn. The pink Liberty is my next project, a long shirt/tunic top.


I bought the knits a few weeks ago. I boarded a bus and did a commute to London to catch up with a family friend who was passing through London on her way to work as a tour guide in Italy *sigh* and after a long, long, lunch she graciously came fabric shopping with me on London's Berwick Street. This is a wonderful street, fellow sewistes. It is closed off to traffic and has several fabric shops down each side and a market with fruit stalls down the middle. There is a fashion institute on nearby Oxford Street and the theatre district is nearby as well. The result is that you get shops that cater for students and costumiers and there are shops full of wool for tailoring and several shops that are something in between. Heaven to a fabric starved Aussie!


Feathers anyone?



I know where to go next time I need a feather boa .. My friend enjoyed this street and humored me as I hunted down the fabric I required. I was shopping with a plan believe it or not. My favourite three quarter sleeve black knit top had been stained with a glob of washing powder (communal washing machines..spilled powder..too hot a setting by mistake ..ack!)  I wanted to replace it and also make one in dark chocolate brown. I had packed the pattern pieces for my die-hard TNT knit top New Look 6735 in my luggage when I came to England.



Yeah, yeah I know, they look the same but this is what I live in dear reader and I am not trying to set the world on fire. I am happy with a functional wardrobe!

 I also bought some pure khaki linen from the bargain table of this shop.



It felt good to get some speedy sewing done and get three items that I need. The third was a slinky knit nightie, not going to model it! The leaves are starting to fall from the trees here in Oxford and I've agreed to stay on at my job here until Christmas. I look forward to getting a taste of a real winter. I'm going traveling on holiday in a few weeks so the linen will become a simple little jacket and maybe some pants as well. I am going to try to make the jacket from a modified shirt pattern. I have some preliminary sewing to do from the aforementioned pink ..

Here are some Oxford shots.





The start of Autumn.

Happy Sewing
Val






4 comments:

  1. I've just made an identical tshirt (for Spring) in burnt orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some fine shots of Oxford there. Would love to be fabric shopping in London. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don, you would have to do Goldhawk Road and the Shepherd's Bush markets...Must take some photos next time I'm there..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blouse. Sometimes sewing with knits is a blessing and a treat. Love the feel of the knits and the ease in the fabric. Great going. Fall pics are wonderful. I live in Hawaii so I do not get to see the autumn colors.

    ReplyDelete