Sunday, 4 December 2011

My seriously warm little winter coat

Dear reader,
About six weeks ago I started making a coat form some pure wool tartan that I had bought on my travels in Edinburgh. I actually love tailoring. It is the opposite of quick'n'easy but ultimately more fulfilling. I like pressing and interfacing and seemingly endless hand stitching. It soothes me. I put on some favourite music and I can go for hours. Well it's December and I am glad to say the coat is finished just as the English weather cools to 6 degree days, something quite novel to this expat Sydney sider. It took a long time to make because it was interrupted by a trip to Amsterdam to see friends and then a trip to Norway to see the Aurora Borealis. No need to feel sorry for me ;)

The coat is V8754 'Very Easy vogue' here  Curiously, the line drawings make it look like the closure is off to one side but that is not the case, the button closures are central. It is a nice pattern with just enough darts and shaping to keep it from being too boxy but simple enough for my first interlining project. It ended up being fully interfaced as well and lined with black satin that I'd bought for another project. The end product is still soft and drapey enough to feel very comfortable on but warm like wearing a blanket, which indeed I am doing as the interlining was originally a thrifted fleece blanket that had been on my bed covers. I couldn't find anything appropriate to buy locally when I was cutting it out! I'll do a PR review with all the blow by blow details soon.

The coat



Here I am wearing it.


The back. that's me running to get in place before the timer on my camera went off!




And a gratuitous travel shot - me in Tromso, Norway.



Edited to add photos of the constellation of Gemini, the Aurora Borealis, and Tromso. Please respect that these are my images.







I had a brilliant time.
Happy sewing everyone.

p.s. don't forget to vote in the 'Give me a Reason" giveaway. See previous post.

13 comments:

  1. And seriously stylish, too! I love a good tartan. The big pockets on the front are really nice. Did you take any photos of the aurora borealis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie- great coat. This is just the coat I need for the trip. Stylish but not too long to construct. My own question mark about the coat is that I have an old one already, but my DD who I will be travelling with has asked me to reconsider.
    Re your question about the bound buttonhole tutorial - happy for you to make the link but I'm not sure which one you mean?
    We should catch up in England or Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Liza Jane I saw the Northern LIghts. It was astounding. Even the night sky and stars from that latitude - just within the arctic circle - was unforgettable.

    Gail, this is a great mid -thigh length (on a normal height woman) coat. If you have material in your stash I'd quickly make one up.
    p.s.re the buttonhole tutorial I have a funny feeling it wasn't your blog .. blush .. but thank you anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning coat, sounds so warm perfect for your travels. Oh the Northern Lights, definately on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW I would LOVE to catch up with you Gail email me with the dates you are free in London. My email is under my header. If not maybe we could do something in Sydney in February?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Valerie, I'm from Sydney too and found your blog when I typed "Sewing Norway" into Google! We are heading to Tromso in January and hoping to see the Aurora as well. Love your photos :) I can't imagine much shopping but if you know of any good fabric stores in Tromso, Bergen, or Oslo please let me know. Cheers, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops I meant to move my comment, not delete it. See next post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great coat. Looks so beautiful there. One day....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous coat, Valerie! I also enjoyed your pictures in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete