Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Simplicity 2365 revisited

A very meticulous surgeon that I used to scrub for was fond of saying "Near fear perfection, you won't achieve it." Nevertheless I believe the majority of sewers secretly - or not so secretly - strive for perfection. The prefect design, the perfect marriage of pattern to fabric, the perfect fit and of course the perfect execution of all of the above. If something doesn't sit quite right it niggles until we've done what we can and then what can't be fixed gets tweaked on the next version. My tunic was supposed to be a simple, buttonless beachy thing (see previous post) but the material said otherwise. It said 'Come on, fix me, give me a narrow hem and pretty metallic buttons." So I did.


Same length, narrow hem, sleeve cuffs turned up


The buttons were from the stash as was the material. The buttons are sewn onto the center front seam and are purely decorative.


It looks more finished now. The thing I'll tweak next time? I need to do a sway back adjustment. I've avoided it for years but I'm no longer going to cheat by diddling with the back hem. I'll do it properly by making a horizontal tuck at the waistline on the pattern as my slight swayback is no longer so slight.


Now you know my secrets :) Happy sewing everyone.

8 comments:

  1. I have this pattern or one very similar and have made it three times. I love this pattern. I love the addition of the buttons down the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looked great before and it looks great now! I kind of consider myself to be an anti-perfectionist. I pride myself on not getting caught up in minute details. Yet I still obsess over that perfect line of stitching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, even though I appreciated your tunic before, I did think it needed a bit more and you have achieved this so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nicely finished - looks very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great look was casual wear. I must see if I have this pattern in stash as I wear a lot of kaftans for weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tunic - I bet you'll wear it a lot!

    Seems like perfectionism is a big problem for dressmakers - I find I lose enthusiasm for a project when something happens that renders it imperfect. Sometimes I can't even force myself to finish it, which is awful. If I hide the offending article away after finishing, then fish it out a week or so later, it seems fine. Crazy! I bought two rtw tops this week and have spent some time removing and sewing in loose threads where they were not well finished - why doesn't this bother me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've learnt to let things be perfectly imperfect. A top model here was asked what her faults were. This woman was known as "The Body". She said it was her job to emphasize the good bits. It later turns out she thought she had a flat derriere. (Poor thing) but to get back to sewing, I guess we all have our own standard of 'that's good, I'm happy with it' and for some reason this standard is easier to reach with RTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your instincts were right. The tunic was lovely before but the buttons add contrast and a flourish to the stripes. I tend to think of a sewn garment as an artistic creation. I strive to create the vision that was in my mind.

      Delete