Friday, 23 March 2012

A tunic for the last blast of summer

Dear Friends,
The seasons are changing. I read blogs from the northern hemisphere describing the return of sunshine and warmth and plans for new summer wardrobes. Here in the antipodes it is, of course, autumn. There is a twinge of coolness in the early morning air and the nights are a bit chillier - by our standards but there are still days that are sun drenched and warm and 26 degrees. That is our weather cooling down! I fully appreciate being able to go to the local pool and swim in sun warmed water that is comfortably tepid in the outside pool. This is my homeland, Australia. Meanwhile I am saving and planning to work another stint in the Uk in the northern summer so I'll keep on sewing warm weather clothing for the time being. Here is my latest effort, a Simplicity tunic I've been procrastinating over for two years. I'm glad I finally made it.


The material is a very finely woven cotton from Sydney's the Fabric Store, Surrey Hills. It was a joy to work with.


The pattern is Simplicity 2365. I like the pin tucks and the almost Indian look the material gave it. I was in a hurry to finish it but I may take it in a touch at the sides and narrow hem it but the pattern sits well and is definitely a keeper.
Happy sewing everybody.

5 comments:

  1. Love your tunic! I love to wear tunics and only have RTW ones so really should pull my finger out and sew one myself. Your version has inspired me to do so (even though it is getting cooler here - I always run a few degrees hotter than most people). Love your fabric too. You should really enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BeeJay. This pattern is a goodie. I'm going to do a Pattern Review soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's such a great pattern. I may have to pull that one back out. Love your version! It looks cool and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good!The pattern is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this tunic..esp the buttons down the front.

    ReplyDelete