Sunday, 10 June 2012

New Look 6648

Dear Peoples,
I've just sewn up New Look 6648 and am very happy with it. This pattern for a batwing top is a departure from what I normally wear and I wasn't sure would work. Would my wide shoulders look bigger than they are? Are gathers on my waistline a good idea? Hm maybe no, but guess what, it worked. The looseness coupled with a clinchy band hides a multitude of figure sins. I think I'll be using it again hehe.
It all started with the purchase of a very unusual stripe and border knit bought at a Tessuti sale two months ago. The material is very fine and fairly stretchy so I wanted to work with the grain and also with the pattern and keep the border running up one side of a pattern. How to showcase that? Then cruising Pattern Review I saw this top which has been reviewed 48 times. Hey if 48 reviewers say that a pattern is good the chances are that it is and I am glad to say it was.


Front


Ready for Take-off


The back is a mirror image of the front and luckily I had enough material to play around and do this.
there is also enough of the grey & cream stripe to make a little top - maybe View C, a sleeveless cowl neck.
I am writing a review for PR but I will mention that the main modification I made was to use View B from a V to a round neck then match it to the back neck curve as shown here:




There are a few more tops in the pipeline, for DD and myself. We both bought velour in the current Spotlight Sale and another experimental top of a different variety is coming up.



Running to get into place
Happy Sewing everyone.



10 comments:

  1. I bought this fabric last year and plan to cut it in the other direction of grain to make a summer maxi. Do you foresee any problems with this approach. Love your top btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail the only time I cut a knit on the opposite grain the garment grew and grew until I ended up tripping over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unusual fabric - your top really stands out . I have seen so many wonderful versions of this pattern I think I really will have to get it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this top - the fabric is really attractive and it looks great on you. I will look up your pattern review! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pulled this pattern out yesterday to make one of the other views. Your great looking top has me changing my mind. Neat fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey I suspect it is the kind of pattern where you end up making at one of every view!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, I love that border print! This was the perfect use for it. Great top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo, this top is quite stunning! The fabric is just perfect for the style. And it looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys. I really appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your top! It is flattering and I love how the print works so well with the style.

    ReplyDelete