Sunday, 17 June 2012

Two tops one pattern Butterick 5679

Dear Sewing Friends
How are things? I've sewn  up a couple of quick tops both from B5679. The first one is a quirky top with a dangling side pocket, View C, from a green paisley velour.


Taken in the winter rain. I'll do a review eventually. Edited to add a link to my Pattern Review B5679. Basically I lengthened  the body and pocket pieces by 1 1/2" and the sleeves by 1". I wanted a normal length top and full length sleeves. Oh and I kept taking it in!

Then I fell in love with some chocolate & black flecked ponti so I gave View B a go.


Doing my best model pose in front of the outdoor dunny ..er.. convenience. A lot of older Australian houses built in the 50's had outdoor toilets and laundries. The laundries eventually become part of the house due to expansion and of course most indoor bathrooms were eventually modified to include a toilet. I hope you like this gratuitous piece of architectural history.

Another shot.


This time you get a shot of the smalls hanging out to dry.

On more serious matters the cowl top went together beautifully but I had to play around with the length of the front and back points, take 2" off them and round them off to half way up the sides. I also narrowed the very straight and wide sleeves by 5/8" almost all the way up to the armpit.

Here for a laugh is the night-time try on of the top in its original form.


Happy sewing everyone. I am hobbling around in pain at home with an injured knee. I'd love this time off if I could freely get out and about, but I can't do much and I have to be patient. Bother (and other words I shan't type).
Val

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on two very excellent sewing projects! Love both, but the green is my fave.
    Very nice purple pot plant there too! xxx P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. The purple plant is a Tibouchina.

      Delete
  2. Lovely tops Val, hope your knee mends soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both tops look great on you, but I really love the green with its pocket! Too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two very good looking tops. The green print is very nice. I have this pattern so it's helpful to see these two styles made up.
    I hope your knee mends real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention the velour is from Spotlight Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of these! Getting that center point right on the brown one is enough to scare me away from the pattern but you nailed it!
    Hope that knee feels better :)

    ReplyDelete