Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Vogue 8534 and New Look 6648 - a different take

Dear Bloggers,
I hope all is well with you in blogland. Recently I've spent hours perusing a lot of websites and blogs and seen what everyone is making up and what is fashionable. A couple of recurring themes at the moment are tops made from sheer fabrics, another is lace. These two themes coupled with access to more of my stash led me to see how I could use two favourite patterns designed for knits in a different way. The first is this georgette top



 Vogue 8534


I used view C with the ties that go through a loop, with a bit of length through the body from view B and added 1 cm to the shoulder seams and 2cm to the body seams for enough ease in a woven with no give. All seams were done on the serger and all edges were done with the serger's rolled hem. Super easy. Now I have to wait for the sunny spring days to wear them with capris and sandals! (And  of course a shoestring tank top for modesty).

Another top made from  knit pattern is this lace top



 New Look 6648


With this one I cut the exact same size and used very lightweight fusible hemming tape to give a bit of temporary body to the seams. I didn't fuse it on, just pinned it on top and serged the seams to prevent distortion. It is also a way of making sure  your seams don't stretch as you sew. A lightweight strip of interfacing would serve the same purpose. The sleeve edges were folded over twice then zig zagged. anyway, making this top out of heavy cotton lace worked! In the past I would have ideas like these and not act on them or get distracted or just not take the risk. No more. When inspiration strikes I am going to follow it and see where it leads me.

In the meantime I am trying to summon up the courage to start on a project that is ambitious and a bit of a risk. I have the materials at the ready for my muslin then the real thing. I will tell all a bit later.

Happy creating everyone.


15 comments:

  1. What lovely tops! Seams in the georgette look absolutely perfect, and what a great tip about the fusible tape for the lace knit - I can imagine without it the seams would end up twice as long as intended! You look smashing in both. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautifully made tops - congratulations! The Vogue pattern looks really interesting, and thank you for the tips. Looking forward to future inspirations - have fun!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chiffon top is -absolutely stunning. II've just discovered fusible tape. Great isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. Gail there are all sorts of tapes online, but I use the very cheap hemming tape sold in $2 stores. It dissolves in the first wash but for a temporary stabilizer it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. and when do we expect you back int Europe?????
    Can't offer you UK, but Belgium is pretty good!!!!!!!!!!¡

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that New Look pattern. I'm going to have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both tops are lovely Valerie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tops Valerie I love your fabric choices in both of these they look amazing on you. I wish I and more time to sew some tops I have a couple cut out. I think seeing these I will have to start them yours are so pretty!! Might have to buy these patterns too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I love these tops. So beautiful, and you look spectacular in them. Gorgeous fabric/print choices!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the georgette. And your succulents! Glad this is you, I've been reading your blog for some time, love your colors and objects and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oo ee thanks everyone and welcome! I have some sheer sari material that will be turned into sheer tunics too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful tops! The lace is especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valerie - Your Vogue top is fabulous! How clever to use a sheer fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how the vogue pattern looks in chiffon. so pretty. I actually have both these patterns. I was thinking of making the New Look sleeveless cowl neck vesion. It is always exciting to see patterns I own sewn up by others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeveless cowl is in my queue too - out of stripy left overs.

      Delete