Monday, 13 August 2012

Drape Drape dress no 3

Dear  fellow bloggers,
Some time ago I received a delightful package from Tessuti, (no association, just a favourite shop) the Japanese book Drape Drape in English.


It was previously only available in Japanese. Let me say it is so much better to have access to the instructions and tips in English. I love some of the more outlandish garments in the book but I am going to start with a user friendly dress that I like very much. No 3.


The pattern sheets are included but guaranteed to give any tracer a hard time. I did not want to mark the pattern but I had to outline my pattern piece to have any chance of tracing it. In daylight with my glasses on dear reader. By pattern piece I mean exactly that, one ingenious pattern piece makes a whole dress. The pattern is for knits but I want to make it up in a woven so this is a wearable muslin for me cut in the largest size. I am not sure how a Japanese pattern will sit on my not so delicate frame. I do not have little bones. I want to find out where to upgrade for a woven or even if it is a viable idea.

Take a deep breath and cut!

The line drawing below is the right way up. At the top of what looks like the shoulder is actually the back neck seam. The top curvy bit is the top of the sleeve. The two straight lines to the left of the pattern are the back of the bodice and back of skirt.

I hope to get it done today. Do you know that I am nervous about this project. It is new territory for me. I guess I am afraid of feeling foolish but I will post the outcome even if it is and it will be an interesting sewing exercise for sure.

I did some practical sewing while mulling over Japanese designs. Something safe while getting ready to  leap. (Am I being a drama queen here - um yes!)

Note the Australian national footwear - the sheepskin ugg boot..


KS 3264 - a great pattern but if I make it again I'd add a bit more front overlap or a bigger band.

That's it ladies & gentlemen. I'm off to get out my serger. I am glad I am not the only one trying something new and following their creativity. I've been inspired by Sigrid's post about her trepidation over sewing jeans, Sham's musings about what constitutes art and creativity and Yoshimi who is my poster girl for Japanese chic.
Happy Sewing.





7 comments:

  1. Great dressing gowns.. looks super comfy.. Can't wait to see how the dress turns out. Looks really interesting - loving the look of the fabric. Where did you get it? You must do a close up when you post the finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeeJay. The paisley knit was bought at a huge fabric market last year in the Netherlands. The floral plush robe material was bought by my daughter in Cabramatta. The blue polar fleece (hard to sew! made my machine play up!) was bought at Spotlight.

      Delete
  2. That is the most amazing pattern I have ever set eyes on! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Great work on the gowns. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. It came together after a bit f puzzling. Post coming soon!

      Delete
  3. Love your dressing gowns. I'm rather ashamed of the fact that I have all of the Japanese pattern books and have never made one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got two and I'm determined to try something out of each one!

      Delete
  4. Catching up reading, and only now seeing how complicated the design was. Great job trying something new. Glad my jeans post gave you inspiration, even if for something very different. I've taken the plunge and it's almost finished, the waistband and the hems still to be done. Hopefully later today.

    ReplyDelete