Monday, 1 October 2012

Burdastyle Jacket 121/06/12

Hello people,
In my previous blog post mentioned that I was making two 'quick' jackets (add crazy laughter here) from sweatshirt material as an antidote to the mental stress I had put myself under sewing the silk Tessuti dress. My DD had seen the line drawings for the burda jacket and requested it made out of my grey stash sweatshirting.
For some reason jackets and coats out of knits had been seen in the shops here over winter and my daughter likes the look. Like the indulgent parent that I am I agreed. Now the moral of this story is that you cannot make a tailored garment from a material that does not want to be tailored. Well you can but it won't look tailored which is, I suppose the whole point.


Don't pull those pockets! Of course not Mum...

DD loves it and went off to work wearing it this morning. But, my dear fellow sewists can I rant a little seeing you will understand?..  Making This Jacket Was A Pain in the A$$! In order to have a garment that would last more than a few washes I had to stabilize enough of the stress points for it to take a bit of a beating but leave enough freedom of movement to give it that *ugh* slouch..



Stabilized the armhole area as an afterthought...

The pattern has a cute back stand collar

Add bound buttonholes to the mix..and a lining out of one way stretch nylon with the stretch put cross ways for minimal stretch on the grain.



And a girl who says Mum take it in at the waist! More unpicking Gah!!!!

On a serious note this is a lovely casual jacket pattern and I do recommend it and I will eventually make it up double sided in two different coloured cottons as the pattern suggests. But first I am off to make up my (hopefully quick, stress free, easy) zippered spring jacket.
Happy sewing everyone.




15 comments:

  1. Great sewing Valerie! The jacket looks fantastic, and I feel your pain on the tedious work of construction.. I would not have the patience! Look forward to the next version. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hard work did give a great result. Great mum! It's very nice and I'm sure you will be happy with the extra work you did so that it will survive a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I am. The grumbling was tongue-iin-cheek.

      Delete
  3. Your such a wonderful mum. It's funny the ones that cause us the most grief sewing end up being the ones you love. Well done definitely treat yourself now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! BTW I love your version of this jacket.

      Delete
  4. Mama love...there's nothing like it. And the smile on your DD's face tells all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've managed to combine into a perfectly decent garment two things that I'm afraid of the most: jackets and knits. Well done! And your daughter too! Knit jackets are everywhere .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I do a knit again it will have machine buttonholes..or maybe snaps..

      Delete
  6. Great jacket. My solution for daughter sewing - pin twice, sew once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and they always say 'tighter, tighter!"

      Delete
    2. BTW she hates pins..It's an ongoing joke between us

      Delete
  7. Thats a really nice Jacket

    ReplyDelete