Saturday, 10 November 2012

V8765 Dress

Hello People,
Hot off my sewing machine and worn today is a cotton ikat wearable muslin of Vogue 8765.  V8765   I prewashed this material and did my measurements I promise but my dress ended up a little bit wiggly woo Mad Men Betty Draper-ish..


Squeeze it baby and get out the spanx!




It's almost retro.  I love the bodice on this dress. I need to do a little bit more of a sway back adjustment and add a little more ease overall, but I plan to use a much better behaved material for the next version, a red linen from the stash for a lunch time Christmas party coming up. Then I'll do a Pattern Review. On my part the main area that needed adjustment was the neckline. I raised the whole thing by 1 cm but kept the V the same depth. I have very straight shoulders and don't need so much cut out at the sides on this sort of neckline. I also narrowed and shortened the sleeves a tiny bit. I took these shots then ran out the door to go to a writer's group that I attend. We seem to do more talking about what we are going to write than comparisons of our pieces but it's enjoyable. Oh and I should be sewing curtains instead of blogging. The thought of that is not so enjoyable.

Till next time,
Val.

12 comments:

  1. Nice and absolutely retro and reminds me of the 70s - but so what? I had much fun back then :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I. It was a bright and shiny decade, that's for sure.

      Delete
  2. You are right, the top part is beautiful! Love the print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the dress - the fabric is lovely - even if it is a muslin.. I have just purchased some Ikat - never sewn with it - does it shrink much. Where did you get yours from. Love the colours - very earthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BeeJay. My ikat was bought at a Spotlight sale. It is loosely woven - for dress fabric that is - and it shrank considerably. Not only that but I suspect that ironing it made it shrink more ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks pretty. I love your blog ...I lurk you know

      Delete
  5. Woo hoo, you look fab in that dress, Valerie! Your sewing skills never fail to impress me. I love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. Been sewing a long time but information available on internet sites such as Pattern Review really accelerated my learning curve. Then it gave me real and virtual sewing friends :)

      Delete
  6. Love the mix of ethno print and retro design. The fit is a pretty starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty dress and nice matching job! love the print.

    ReplyDelete