Sunday, 30 December 2012

Burdastyle Dress 5/2011/130

Dear Bloggers,

I'm sneaking in one more bit of sewing before the year ends. One last dress which is from Burdastyle 130/5/2011


If you have not seen my previous post on the top I made from this pattern here is a link. I wasn't sure if the dress would work like, you know, those hourglasses and pears that rock these styles so well.  When I pulled it over my head I exhaled in relief. 

Today is the last day of the year. I am not going to do 'Best and Worst' a wrap. This year was a bit up and down and definitely a departure from what I had planned but all is well that ends well so I am not complaining. Far from it. I am grateful for what I have and that all close to me are doing well. Lets just say that clothes were not my top priority. 

Sewing and blogging was and is a pleasure, a loved hobby, an escape. I enjoy it and reading your blogs.  

Do you have any New Year traditions? My mother always told me that it was good luck to wear something new on New Year's Day and I will wear this last minute dress when I go see her tomorrow.



I am on call today but tonight I will be at a pool party at a friend's place to see in the New Year. We get to see it in before all of you Northern Hemisphere. Yes it will probably be hot enough to jump in the pool at night time!

My sewing resolutions are to stay organized and to use what I have got, to use stash materials and stash patterns most of the time. I know I will occasionally need to buy another pattern or piece of material or sewing magazine. Three patterns and the material for this dress followed me home from a Spotlight Sale the day before yesterday when I went in there to buy one pattern for my daughter.. but no guilt! I enjoyed having a look and a browse and a feel (as my daughter says to tease me). You have to get your hands on the material to choose it properly is what I tell her back.

In the interests of being organized I recently tipped all my patterns out of their temporary cardboard boxes and tubs onto the floor and then categorized by type of garment.



 Ta Da! The zippered carry bags are collapsible cooler bags that were $5 from The Reject shop. the green one is full of nothing but dress patterns. 

As you can see I had a few left over that are in my want-to-do-soon pile. They went into a shoe box on my sewing nook bookshelf. The closest plastic tub is full of traced patterns, mostly Burdastyle. Some patterns date back a Long Long Time. There have been a few big purges and a lot given away. I might do a select give away in 2013...



That's all folks.

Happy New Year  2013!

Val xx


17 comments:

  1. Happy New Year and your dress looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice pattern for you! I need all the luck and fortune I can get, so I will wear something new on the 1st as well - did not know about that one! Wishing you a very happy new year full of peace, calm, and joy. On the flip side...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new dress. Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous I love it! Looks so pretty on you and fabric is a perfect colour! So good you got to organise your patterns. Mine have been getting a little out of control! Hope you have a great New Years and looks forward to seeing what you create in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This new dress is wonderful. Happy New Year to You. Fingers crossed for 2013

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly are starting 2013 off in a well organised fashion! Enjoy New Year's Eve this evening, be good, stay cool and will catch up again in 2013...J
    *Love your new party dress - colours really suit you...J

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pattern suits you just as well as a dress as a top and looks like lovely drapey fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new dress looks wonderful on you -- a fun style for the new year! Wow, you have a lot of patterns! It must feel great to have organized all of them. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too Many! A lifetime stash of every shape and style I usually wear. That's why I've become so good at adapting and 'Frankenpatterning!'

      Delete
  9. Thank you ladies. I look forward to seeing what everyone does this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You seem to be ready for 2013 :-)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, full steam ahead, God willing.

      Delete
  11. Happy New Year, Valerie! Love your dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new year Valerie. May it be a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really pretty dress.. Great idea [the collapsiable cooler for patterns..]

    ReplyDelete