Saturday, 15 December 2012

Leisl's Gingerbread

Dear Sewists,

Newsflash:  I've racked my brain and trawled my favourite sewing blog lists for members of my lost blog roll. I have almost restored everybody but if you know you were on it please leave me a comment with a link and I'll put you back. Promise!

In case you haven't noticed it is nearly Christmas and in the spirit of pass-it-on I want to share the nicest  gingerbread recipe I have ever tasted given to me by a generous German friend called Leisl.


Leisl told me what her ingredients were and I based the amounts from a recipe for 'Swedish Ginger Cookies' in the Margaret Fulton* Cookbook. I combined the two ideas and they worked! Pardon the freehand icing. I really must buy a piping bag.


I have some cookie cutters that my mother used when I was little.. and I used when my daughter was little..




Leisl's Gingerbread

1/4 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup soft brown sugar
1 egg
125g butter
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
1 cup rye flour
1 cup wholemeal self raising flour

Icing

!/2 cup icing sugar
2 or 3 teaspoons warm water

Cream butter and sugar. Add golden syrup, mix well then add egg and mix again. Stir in hazelnut, flours and spice. Roll into a ball, cover and chill for one hour. Preheat an oven to 180 degrees C.
Grease a baking tray. Roll the dough out to 1 cm thick on a floured board. Cut out cookie shapes. You can press almond or raisins for decoration at this stage.
Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool. Drizzle with icing. To make icing sift icing sugar into a small bowl, add water by the the teaspoon until you get  a pouring consistency. Put into piping bag to decorate cooled cookies. Makes 28 cookies.

Keep in an airtight container. If the weather is hot where you are they keep well in the fridge.

Edit: I've decided to add the original recipe to this post. 

Swedish Ginger Cookies

6 oz  (170 gram) butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each of ground ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon
1/4 cup castor sugar
almond halves to decorate

Cream butter and sugar until well blended. Add egg and milk and beat until fluffy. Sift flour with baking powder, salt and spices and blend into creamed mixture. chill dough for 1  hour. Roll out on floured board to 1/8 inch thickness, sprinkle lightly with castor sugar and roll lightly with rolling pin. Cut into shapes with small biscuit cutters, decorate with almond halves, place on greased baking tray and bake in a moderate oven 350 degrees F (200 degrees C) until golden brown, about 10 minutes.


*Margaret Fulton is a legend in Australian Cooking. The Margaret Fulton Cookbook published in 1968 was a revolution for its time, even though a lot of it's contents are very basic, for example how to fry fish, how to boil an egg or how to do the most basic roast. She was our first cook book author to become a celebrity. Mum gave me the book along with the cookie cutters and a wooden rolling pin.

Happy cooking,
Val.



10 comments:

  1. Ah- Baby is craving gingerbread now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help. Let me know if baby liked it.:)

      Delete
  2. I have those cookie cutters too, Valerie! They bring back many old memories. The recipe looks very interesting and I think I will give it a try this week.
    thank you for your festive post! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Valerie. I want me some gingerbread!

    I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award / One Inspirational Blogger Award!

    http://cocosloft.blogspot.com/2012/12/one-lovely-blog-award-thank-you-goodbye.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coco, thank you so much. I've enjoyed your blog from the first time I read it too..we are kindred spirits.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recipes....will have to make these instead of the usual biscotti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Don. I love biscotti and cook it occasionally too.

      Delete
  5. Oh ginger pig, oh ginger pig! You are so warm and spicy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to see how other nations make their Christmas food - alike but different at the same time. I got hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing yummier than gingerbread at this time of year! And I have a copy of Margaret Fulton's original cookbook on the bookcase as well - well worn, that is for sure!
    Hope you enjoy Christmas, fingers crossed that we both have cooler days than currently - the heat is dreadful up here. Will catch up with more of your sewing (and cooking) delights in the New Year - hope Santa is good to you...J

    ReplyDelete