Monday, 14 January 2013

Never Say Die Burda 7547 Revisited

Dear Readers,
You may remember my previous disappointing flop, the long off-white Burda 7547 dress? I was going to cut it up into dishcloths and serger covers, dust the furniture with it and tear it's little zipper out.. No? Well maybe that is just as well because .. as I started to unpick the zipper I remembered that I already had two more back bodices cut out and a drafted-to-fit-me front on paper for next time and it really wouldn't be too hard to just unpick the 'wrong' bodice and have another go at making it .. right?
Well, dear reader I cut out two revised fronts and went for it.

I am stubborn and I hate waste. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.


Never say dye ..


But back to the beginning, I straightened and de-sagged the front piece and finished the dress and ended up with this.


Hmm fits better but a bit nightgown-ish. What to do? I had some navy blue dye bought for another project so I researched different tie dye techniques, got busy with the rubber bands and ended up with this.



Because if I was going to get reacquainted with the Seventies I may as well go all the way. Yeah, baby.

Peace, love and mung beans to you all.

Val.






20 comments:

  1. What an amazing transformation. Good on you for not giving up, but pushing through and finding a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness you really have saved that dress- congratulations on your creativity and skills - it really is fabulous now. Talking about mung beans - my husband made a mung bean casserole last week - to put it nicely he won`t be making that recipe again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tenacity paid off! I get a bit like that too - drives me nuts because it means I'm not being very productive but I hate it when things don't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! I love it! That wasn't just a save. It turned out amazing! I love the tie-dye job. Very cool how the hem is darker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great save! The dye looks amazing and perfect for this dress style. Maybe a little macrame accessory to along with? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ladies. Janinr I do my own mung bean sprouts but a casserole? Eew!
    Liza Jane I left the bottom of the dress in the dye bucket for longer to get that effect. I also dribbled water around the elastic bands before the dress went into the dye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic what a transformation! You did such a great job with the tie die it looks professional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that is so amazing!

    In the first picture I hadn't even recognized it was the same dress... A bit of color can make a dramatic change. And for good in this case!

    Greetings from snowy Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant save and you wouldn't know it was the same dress (modified to fit).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Groovy tie die rescue! It looks wonderfully cool to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also, you have probably had heaps of nominations already but I just thought I would let you know I have nominated you for the Liebster award on my blog. i-heart-fabric.blogspot.com.au :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brought me straight back to the seventies - ready for a party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. i am thinking of wearing it to a party on Australia day next weekend..

      Delete
  13. What a fantastic idea.. The dress is so cute, and looks great on you.. Found your blog from I heart fabric..

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, this post almost slipped by me! I dig your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks Coco. tie dying is groovy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry but that's not a save, that's couture baby!

    ReplyDelete