Sunday, 17 February 2013

Burda 11-2012-108 Blouse

Hello Bloggers,

How are things in your part of the world? I've been looking at the upcoming Autumn fashions that are coming into our major department stores, especially David Jones Autumn Preview because I think it is good to know what is going on in the fashion world, even if all I want to do is take the odd idea here and there to tart up my sewing. To be honest I haven't seen much to get excited about. Fashion direction seems to be all over the place but classic shapes remain prevalent for winter. That's a relief because while I can do 'fashionable' when the need arises, most of the time I'd rather go my own way.

In the meantime, there's still a bit of summer left and six weeks ago in a moment of weakness I bought some blue cotton voile with white doves. I loved the material and wanted to make something with gathered three quarter length sleeves and front fastenings. I found something similar to what I had in mind in the November 2012 issue of Burda.  Here's the link


Line drawing

Burda photo


My material changed the nature of this blouse from work-place sleek to almost Oriental Jacket.


I was going to put front buttons but put snaps instead to stay more true to the original, then covered the outside of the areas where the stitching showed with little squares to hide the stitching. (Photo to follow).


All in all I'm happy with my little birdies.



Happy sewing folks.

Edit about the snaps. I didn't do the placket on the right side as shown in the line drawing, but a double cut-on facing type fold on both sides. Buttons just weren't going to look right with this style so I wanted to put medium black snaps and somehow hide the stitching on the outside. I came up with this. I made little squares out of rectangles of leftover neck facing. I had a bias strip left 4cm wide. I cut it into 6 cm pieces. I folded down the long edge by 1 cm and ironed it then folded the pieces in half and stitched narrow seams along the other three sides, ending up with little squares big enough to cover my snap stitching once they were turned the right way out of course. I pinned them into place and sewing them on from the snap side. You may have to bast by hand so figure out where to stitch. Ta Da ..design feature.

Here's a pic. (hidesously hard to photographs details on dark fabric!)

Oh and a hint about sewing on snaps so they stay is to finish off by sewing in a little mini circle of stitching on the wrong side of your fabric once you've done the proper stitching, then finish by burying as long a stitch as you can manage. (i saw my granny doing this when I was a kid, amazing what you absorb..)




Gratuitous close up.

More summer tops to follow... or maybe a dress... hmmm decisions, descisions!

Bye,

Val.

19 comments:

  1. I'd love to see how you covered up the snaps. I always struggle to sew snaps on invisibly. Love the bird print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your top. Looks cool and comfy and very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a lovely top! I'd snap this fabric up too if it came my way.

    I too struggle with snaps and often find I have to keep resewing them as they come off :-[

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love the bird print! White doves on blue is the best version of this. The design is perfect and looks great on you, as well as being perfect for the late months of summer. You are a sewing star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks cool and comfortable, and yes, Japanese. The fabric makes me want to go sit by the ocean and relax. But not here in Massachusetts, at least, not right now!
    The top looks great on you. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a gorgeous top and the style is very flattering. Love the bird print too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How pretty! I've always loved this print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great summer style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you ladies. You don't know how much I appreciate you comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is anyone else getting weird spam like the comment above? How do I stop it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice and I love the fabric. The only way to stop the spam is to not allow anonymous messages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks gail. I'm not keen to restrict who can or cannot post. I'll just delete them for now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely top. I am really in to bird prints at the moment. It wil be perfect for autumn as well janine

    ReplyDelete
  15. And if you're in the mood for a lot of juice, it comes with a super size detachable pulp collector that will make any pitcher of fruit juice a snap to clean up. Models that extract the pulp to an outside container leave less pulp behind than those that separate the pulp inside the machine. A good model needs to be able to hold 3 to 4 pieces of produce at once in their full forms such as a large cucumber.

    Also visit my webpage - hamilton beach juicer at target
    My page > juicer at target

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK I've had enough. Maybe the junk that I'm increasingly getting is proof that i'm not a little eeny weeny blog anymore.. but I am disabling anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have changed comments to 'Registered Users Only'. If that doesn't work it's back to the old annoying word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this print! The style you chose is perfect for it as well. Thanks for the tip from your grandmother -- I'll definitely use it the next time I sew snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You think about autumn - we think about spring. Isn't it great that the Earth is round?

    ReplyDelete