Saturday, 4 May 2013

B5616 Denim Jacket

Hello Readers,

When in between seasons, especially Sydney's current extra mild autumn, thoughts do not turn to coats and boots and scarves but to in between jackets. You know, a little unlined something to grab on the way out the door just incase a bit of cool air hits.

 So I made this from stash denim and B5616.



Yes, that is the Opera House. I went to the ballet with a camera shy friend who insisted if I was going to have a shot in front of the Opera House I also needed one in front of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
After we saw the three one act modern ballets, one of which was curious, one of which was ho-hum and one of which was brilliant (and sipped champagne during intermission) we went to the James Squire pub in the Rocks for dinner. All in all a lovely day out. It reminds me why I love Sydney.



B5616

People, I was not organized enough to sign up to SoZo's  http://sozowhatdoyouknow.blogspot.com.au/  increasingly popular Me-Made-May, but this is my Me-Made-Saturday in May. 
I also made the fully lined polished cotton dress, reviewed on PR  here. It's been too hot to wear a fully lined dress until now!

The jacket is made from B5616, a recent pattern purchase. Other reviewers on PR found it a little boxy but it was just what I wanted and I love the fact that it fitted me right out of the packet. Bonus!

The denim was originally dark brown and I dyed it using Dylon machine dye in Black Velvet. Here is a link. I was a bit apprehensive about using dye in my machine but it was easy and the result a very pleasing antique blue with dark undertones that's just perfect, even if it was not black or the black/brown that I expected. The instructions said to do a full wash with an empty machine afterwards but as I was reluctant to waste power and water I threw a load of faded denims in to pick up any residue and clear the machine. It was fine. 

I put jean buttons down the front and co-ordinating snaps on the sleeves, did some carefully chosen topstitching and then had a hell of a time with the buttonholes. I'll do the nitty-gritty when I write the Pattern Review.

I like this pattern. I'll be using it again.

Happy Sunday wherever you are,

Val.




20 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun day out!

    The jacket looks absolutely perfect. I'd never guess that the denim used to be brown. I haven't dyed fabric before, so I imagine that part of the fun is waiting to see what colour arrives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit and beautiful scenery. I can't believe I've grown up in oz and never been to Sydney. I must put that right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great jacket - the top stitching looks spot on . I made one jeans jacket a few years ago and it is still such a favourite- you will get so much use out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your jacket - perfect for this weather. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a sucker for a lightweight jacket - perfect for Sydney and San Francisco too :).

    Technically, Melbourne is supposed to be SF's sister city over there, but personally, I feel that Sydney is a better match :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very cute jacket, and perfect for the season. And it fitted right out of the packet! That never happens to me :( I'd be making it over again, too, as such a versatile style. Glad you enjoyed the ballet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So modern, so cool. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Kat yes it is a bit like forrest Gump's box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. All black dyes are usually either a very dark blue or a very dark brown. this one is definitely in the blue spectrum.
    Megan I can't believe you've never been to Sydney either ..
    Janine .. It is already a favourite!
    BeeJay Thank you. You are such a sweetie!
    Jilly B I do think that Sydney is San Farnsico's soul sister..
    Patricia I suspect the neck stretched a bit while I was making up the body because I did not need to alter it!
    Mary, HI! I hope your little family is well .. and that you are still sewing.
    thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely dress/ jacket combination.
    I have dye for the washing machine but still scared to use it. Good to hear you had no problems after dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigrid, if the dye is specially formulated for the machine it should be no problem at all. the instructions said to put it through on a 40 degree cycle. I put it through on 30 degree and still had a good result.

      Delete
  10. Great combo, and I love the jacket. it's really funky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute outfit, and that jacket will a versatile piece in your wardrobe.
    Sounds like you had the perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love making something that pulls together pieces in my wardrobe. Your jacket is sure to do just that. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos! Sounds like you had a fun day! The jacket and dress combo is really cool. I've been looking at different patterns and may try one from Burda Mag, but I'll look at the one you made as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great denim jacket and that is exactly what we need at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great jacket. Not sure about our extra mild Autumn today...brrrrgh!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again, Thanks ladies.
    Gail Yes I know, the daytime temps have finally turned cooler. We might have to get out the boots soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the classic lines of the jacket combined with the denim fabic. Very casual chic look worn over the dress. I also enjoy seeing the Sydney landmarks in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this jacket..Looks great with your jacket.. Just found your blog through Erin hearts fabric..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome to my blog!

      Delete