Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Daft or Practical?

The Onesie is finished.

I am glad. I melded a McCall's unisex all-in-one sleep garment M6251 with Kwik Sew 3926 booties (see previous post), did some modifications to meet my daughter's requirements, serged on ribbed collar and cuffs (sold pre made for school uniforms) hammered in some snaps and there the thing was, hanging around my apartment like some crazy deflated clown.



Last night I delivered it to my daughter. the garment did not look babyish, more like an Acrobat maybe from Circ du Soleil?



Her boyfriend said no it's more like a teletubby.





Whatever! She likes it.

The legs and arms of the pattern are extremely wide. I had to taper them down a lot to get them to a reasonable width for the booties and the wrist cuffs.

The back has a modified poo hatch, in two parts. The top part tucks into the pants back which is elasticized. DD got the idea from a onesie in Target. These things are - believe it or not- a current fad. But they didn't have feet.


I made denim soles (on request) and sewn-in polar fleece lining for the boots. DD wants me to tell you it's all her design, made by me. Clever, isn't she?

Happy Sewing xx Val

Edit. I have finally done a Pattern Review here and Marge it includes my tips about doing snaps on velour.


14 comments:

  1. Valerie these seem to be all the rage at the moment with the young ones. My nieces love them too. I love your version :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly cute and love the chevron stripes! I could do with one of those right now, it is darn cold round here. Another brilliant sew, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great mom to your daughter for this labor of love!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond cute. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My (grown) dd's love these also. I usually give them a new one every Christmas. Maybe now I'll just make them. You did a wonderful job on your daughter's design ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies Maybe these things are more popular than I realized. i will do a PR with all the details soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay onesie! Love it. I love mine so comfy! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. My niece loves hers, and your daughter looks very impressed with hers!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Modified poo hatch"! I like. Let's not mince words, eh?

    Well done on another labour of love (were the snaps tricky?) One thing I don't like about onesies is that they don't keep you warm around the back of waist since there's no waistband. Your gathered back design is more draft proof and therefore an improvement. I still don't think I could get over the fear of Teletubby effect to actually make one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AI think a grown-up onesie is a must for all adults! Very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Awesome. It's like a classier snuggy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I's love to gu on a photo-shoot with you wearing that one !

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! Your daughter is very clever indeed!

    ReplyDelete