Monday, 3 June 2013

Stripey top knock off using New Look 6735

Dear Readers,

Most sewers here would be familiar with the term 'TNT' which is short for 'tried and true'. This refers to a pattern that works every time and has been used multiple times. It is usually a pattern for everyday basics.

New Look 6735 link to pattern website is such a TNT knit top pattern, reviewed by many people on Pattern Review including myself here so when my favourite striped top became stretched and discolored I wanted to make a replacement. I did have some stash striped knit from Spotlight but it just wasn't the same. You know when the stripes are printed on rather than woven in and the fabric doesn't have that delicious sponginess of a gutsy cotton knit?

So, when out shopping, I found a too large striped cotton T Shirt on the bargain rack at a department store  - in the perfect material - I pounced on it. I'd already cut up the old top carefully, thinking I would draft a copy by tracing the outlines, correcting any distortions and just knocking it off when I realized I could use my TNT with a little bit of tweaking. So I did, and I made up one from the Spotlight knit as well. That's the beauty of these tops, you can knock out two in one day.
I now have two RTW and two me-made blue and white striped tops in my wardrobe. I may get sick of striped tops some time in the future but that day has not come yet.


Winter sunshine. Remade RTW top worn with me-made Burda style stretch denim leggings. 03-2012-126


Goodbye old friend. The old top in pieces.


Comparison to NL 6735





Recutting the RTW 

The neckband was made from the leftover fabric at the bottom of the back piece.
My hint: When cutting a neckband from a very stretchy fabric, you need a lot of negative ease to make it sit right. By this I mean the finished circumference of the neckband will be 2/3 of the finished circumference of the neck, or even less. You will need to stretch it almost double as you sew it to the neck. I used the method where you join the ends then serge it on as a folded over strip in a circle.


The spotlight T shirt.


The recut RTW.

By the way I was really chuffed to go over to Pattern Review and see a big sign saying Happy Birthday to Me as the named Birthday Girl!

xx Val.



10 comments:

  1. Great tops and you can't have too many striped ones. Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Val, great ideas for a good stripe T. I love them too, and always think I want another in a different colour. My success rate with making T shirts is very bad, and there are several in the sewing room which have been abandoned. Maybe I should try this New Look pattern. It fits you beautifully in that photo! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of striped tops for casual wear. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun project, great tops. and Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday and love the stripe top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Val.
    These tops are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! I love a good striped t-shirt too. And I know what you mean about printed stripes vs gruntier fabric. Awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever to use a store bought tee. I'm always lamenting the quality of knit fabrics vs. what you can buy rtw. Why is there such a difference? And happy bday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday and what a great tee. Stripes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete