Tuesday, 15 October 2013

A tub of bleach and a revamp of NL 6251


Hello People,

In my previous post I made New Look 6251 cargos from chambray and I wrote about how they just didn't come out how I wanted. While my daughter's reaction was 'ditch them!' I was convinced it was the color that was the problem. I had a bottle of bleach and had bought some olive green dye. I experimented a scrap of the chambray in a little bowl and poured some bleach into it, went to work and later in the day this was the rather interesting result.


I am a tie dyer from the 70's but the only time I had played with bleach was to do dribbly zig-zag borders on tank tops using it full strength. I had not thought of it as an agent to use on yardage until I read this post by the very creative Shams

I have other plans for my green dye. The bleach won. I laid my pants on a plastic sheet and sprayed them with a solution that was roughly half/half bleach and water and let them dry. The result wasn't pale enough so I then made up a bucket of one and a half cups of bleach to the bucket of warm water, dunked my pants in and left them for twelve hours. Then I had the result I wanted. You can see a faded version of the original color in the seam line.


The next thing to do was to take them in, mainly at the belt. I unpicked half the back seam and took out a total of one inch of the back seam and also of the belt, which I cut at the CB. I also increased shaped it in a bit. Then it fit. I left off the CB belt loop. It would have been too bulky and now I don't need the belt.


The next thing I did was stitch the pleats on the pockets in place so they wouldn't gape like pack saddles the minute I used them.



From granny pants to casual cargos.
Time for some tops, in white, something I need. This is on the sewing table.


A little short boxy T, using bits from Simplicity 3775 as a starting point. I can shape it up or trim it down as I go..

Happy sewing,
Val.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic revamp. I think they look so much better, now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ladies. It also means all the work did not go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! They look much better. Great job!

    ReplyDelete