Friday, 20 December 2013

Simple in Silk McCalls 6277


Dear Reader,

This is the morning after the night of my friend's engagement party. I finally met my friend's intended in person, and liked him very much. They leave for the United States after Christmas to build their lives together. I can't believe it has all suddenly wrapped up. I've never seen her so happy. I'll miss her.
The event was held in a lovely tudor-esque function room with oak beams and ivy covered windows. A late evening rain shower broke the heat of the day to cool the evening air down. The food, the wine, the company, the happiness of the couple all made for a memorable night. Did I mention that this is not a young couple but living proof that love can come around again? Most of us around that table were in our fifties.

But I tell you what, it was a well dressed crowd. My friend was in a black and gold sari, looking stunning. The rest of us were in cocktail gear. There was a rainbow of nationalities. It was fun.

I don't know why I have never made a silk lined silk dress before. It was light as air to wear. It will be a very versatile addition to my wardrobe.

This morning I did some after-the-event shots to show you the dress. Please excuse the crumpled dress and rumpled face....









The pattern is M6277  Princess seams through the shoulder front and back make it easy to adjust but I was wary of making it too tight so it is a little bit loose. I will do a Pattern Review later. I have some light weight linen that would make up in this pattern for a nice unlined belted summer dress, like in the illustration. Right now the machine will remain untouched and I am going back to bed. I am doing nothing today. 

Happy Christmas,

Val.




14 comments:

  1. Val, you look very fresh and pretty for a morning-after photo shoot! The dress looks beautiful, and I like the idea of silk-lined silk very much indeed, in our humid climate. It sounds like a wonderful evening was had by all, and enjoy your day of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, your silk on silk dress sounds and looks exquisite. Thanks for sharing and wishing you a happy Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val your dress looks lovely and very expensive. I have not made a silk dress either and agree it is just ludicrous. Another project to go on my bucket list. Thanks for your comment. Yes we do have chooks, sheep and an orchard and vege garden. We have a 5 kW solar system. My husband would love not to be connected to the electricity grid so for starters our hot water is not and we rely on solar or the wood heater for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the whole grass roots life style. I am envious! I aspire to a little house by the sea down the coast in a few years .. Btw we all deserve to use our skills on nice fabric .. It makes the effort truly worth it

      Delete
  4. Hi Val the dress must have been a dream to wear silk on silk just the idea is wonderful, and the finished dress looks super have a happy Christmas and best wishes from Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous silk dress and sounds like it was a magical evening. Wishing you all the best for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, thank you one and all.
    Merry Christmas to all my European sewing sisters :) Sydney is going to get a heat wave tomorrow.. I think I need to spend one Christmas in the snow..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty dress and beautiful colors. Have a lovely Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your silk dress -- the simple style shows off the print. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautifully light and elegant dress. I tried doing something with this pattern but didn't get it to work buy your inspiring version is making me rethink it. You look lovely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice dress!
    Thank you very much! I wish you a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Chirstmas!!
    Your dress is so very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a great dress, and it sounds like it was a lovely party.I think its back to my sewing machine in the new year, all these lovely outfits are tempting me.
    Wish you a Merry christmas /holiday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that bash must have been impressive; your dress looks great ...and must have been an investment in material only. Silk on silk sounds the acme of luxury to me !xx

    ReplyDelete