Sunday, 1 June 2014

Not so sure about the Saggy Funnel V8597


I sewed a quick top yesterday. Cut serge, cover stitch. Zoom zoom. So nice to do after the more complex projects I've been doing. The material was a three dollar bargain price mystery knit, very soft and as it turns out, a bit clingy.


I wore it today but I doubt if I will make this view again. The funnel just droops and flops and doesn't really look like anything at all.




Views A and B are the same except or the sleeve and body lengths. View C has a separate attach-a-tube neck which I know will suit me better. Got some black knit for that.

Have you ever made something and liked it and wanted it to suit but it's just 'meh'?

I am not complaining too hard though,
It was happy bit of sewing.

Val.

10 comments:

  1. I have lots of those. They become my weekend or house wear. I love a saggy funnel myself as a normal funnel seems to choke me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! got a whole history of them. The funnel looks very different in the drawings - this is what tricks me, so often. Looking forward to the black one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I have a few as well, and house wear is definitely what they end up doing. The funnel is a bit too non event, I don't mind a soft cowl but this one definitely looks lacking. Will be interested to see how the black one turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet this would suit you better in a different color; rust or olive maybe. I think the grey doesn't work so good on your rich coloring. A more stable knit that wouldn't droop so much as drape might work too. Love the cut of the basic shape though! Onward!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gotta start somewhere and you've made a great start with this pattern.
    A bit of tweaking will make this top a TNT.
    The salvos now have my first makes:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there is a problem with many of the Vogue easy patterns. They are under engineered and as a result they disappoint. Having said that your tee-shirt doesn't look too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the fabric...looks like a rayon knit. Saggy indeed. This happened to me as well! To make things worse, it pills very quickly! I like the look on you, maybe a different knit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's even worse when you spend a lot of time sewing it and still don't think it's wonderful! Yours looks like a good staple top though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone. I will try this in a gutsier fabric. It's a simple solution I had not thought of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently had the exact same experience. I love rayon/lycra knits for their color saturation and bolt appeal, but the end garment looks saggy, droopy, and frumpy. Ugh! I'm moving more toward interlock, which is more stable and easier to sew with, but it's more difficult to find. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete