Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Butterick 5958 Jacket


Hi Everyone,

I finally got around to making B5958 

I liked the look of this pattern ever since it came out and have always liked this style. The pattern is for a overlapped and lined jacket with either a zip or button closure, collarless or with a straight collar.

I went for View C with collar and cuffs and a zipper. I had some dark brown corduroy in the stash but it wasn't enough to try the jacket out so I cut the fronts and collar out of some tie dyed velvet that I bought from the bargain table at Spotlight earlier in the season on impulse. I had the zip. I had the lining and interfacing. All I ended up buying was dark brown topstitching thread. Sewing velvet on velvet or velvet against corduroy was a slow business even with a walking foot and what with all the hand stitching I did along the edges of the garment, the jacket took a fair bit of time.


The pattern has no pockets. They were my addition.


I like the collar, done or undone.


The back works too. I had cuffs cut out from the tie died velvet but liked the sleeves better without them.

My almost headless and footless shots are because I forgot the tripod plate wasn't on my camera so the camera was precariously rested on the tripod with the strap wound around it. Also I took these between rain showers so they'll have to do!

I like the pattern and used it with minimal tweaking so I am off to write a Pattern Review.

Happy Sewing,

Val.




13 comments:

  1. Nice jacket - and foregrounded well in your headless/footless shots! I have often wondered how this jacket makes up, looks fantastic, and so does the fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely jacket on you and I like the fabrics they work well together. I've never sewn with velvet, very apprehensive, maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your version of this pattern is wonderful! I love the fabric, though like Louise, I am apprehensive about sewing velvet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I tried that pattern but gave up on it. I had so many fitting issues, I ran out of steam. The tie-dyed velvet is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that figures! Patterns that fit me straight off hardly ever seem to fit anyone else!

      Delete
  5. Love the bright colors that really jazz up the brown corduroy! Kudos to you for attempting these two difficult fabrics...Lord knows velvet does not "play nice" with many fabrics but the back side of the collar is really nice flipped up and the band showing too. Pockets are a must for jackets and did you manage them in the princess seams? Too cozy! Just the thing to wear on dreary afternoons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's velvet?! Too cool. Seriously awesome jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful jacket.. The fabrics work well together... Great idea.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very snazzy jacket, love the colours and how you have used the different fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous jacket. Love that fabric. Looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! Such unusual fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous jacket. I'm very cold today and would enjoy wearing your coat!

    ReplyDelete