Tuesday, 30 September 2014

V1349 made into a top


Ah! There's nothing like a quick serger project.

I have just made up  V1349 on Pattern Review (reviewed by two others) up as a top for my daughter. The material is a fabulous spongy viscose python print knit that is almost like the neoprene that's so trendy now. I bought it at the Fabric Store a couple of months ago. It didn't shrink when washed and it dries in next to no time. It was a big hit with my daughter who said "Make me a skirt please!"
It's at the end of the post.

There was also just enough for a top with self bindings and it became this:


V1349 Front


V1349 Back

Regarding the pattern I was attracted to the line drawings rather than the pattern cover and although I have seen some great woven versions of this dress I love the style of it for a knit top and bought it in order to make some colour blocked exercise gear. 



Both reviewers on Pattern Review said that the pattern ran loose when made up in wovens so I knew I would have to scale down the fit.

I'd compared my daughter's measurements to the finished measurements on the pattern then gone down a size as suggested but still ended up taking it in 1cm along the sides to give it the fit that it needs. I've left on that 1cm in the seam allowance rather than serging it off as insurance.

For the skirt - my daughter's original request - I used a pattern that I'd made previously from one of her RTW skirts, blogged about here 

As with the top I also kept the side seam allowances on the skirt. At the moment the whole outfit should just skim but not cling. How do I know? If it is just that bit too tight on me it ends up perfect on her but I can't wait to see her in it. I am going to try to get photos soon.



Self drafted A-line skirt with yoke

Keep on sewing,

Val.

9 comments:

  1. Great little outfit. Love the fabric. It will look wonderful on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabric! And I can totally see that Vogue pattern made up into colour-blocked exercise gear. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute top, and I love the python print Val. Your daughter will love the skirt too. Look forward to seeing the exercise gear. I do envy your sewing confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how cute are these pieces! Would never have thought the pattern could turn out like this. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool fabric! I just recently purchased some scuba knit, which seems to be hip right now. I'm not completely sold on it yet. One that is made of viscose like this is more up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it - I work way to close to the Fabric Store for comfort!

    ReplyDelete