Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Little hot weather dress


Dear Reader,

I said I would not write about V1349 again but I was interested enough in this pattern to make it up in a woven, as recommended. I used some nice Japanese cottons and cotton muslin lining. I did a little bit of colour blocking and made up the outer shell and put the zip in so I could tweak the fit and think about the possibility of pockets (nope) and my material was too thin for the dress to be worn without a lining.

I ended up with a sack dress with nice seam lines, but still a sack. However it is good for hot weather!



Please pardon the after work pictures. I need to find time to do some posing in daylight!

During construction I did try out making it more fitted but that didn't work. It's designed to be a sack and it wanted to be a sack so it went back to  being a sack. Tired of fiddling about, I did not want to take out the zipper to construct it as recommended so I finished off the neck and armhole edges with self bias binding, going slightly wider than the original seam lines. I don't know if it would look better along the original lines and above knee length but I am not likely to find out.

BTW Anyone tall would have to add length so as not to end up with a mini...

I like this dress enough to wear it but for the fitted dress I had in mind I've ordered the newly released V9050. I've got some linen that was bright red that I have bleached to a marbled orange colour. I can see it.

I got lost in a work vortex the last few weeks and did too much of everything at once and got over wrought, so I am scaling back a bit. I am lucky to be in a position to be able to do so. (I work as an agency fill in).

In fact tomorrow I am going fabric shopping and doing lunch with one of my favourite people. We will both take time to get off the treadmill, walk in the sunshine.. The agenda as far as buying fabric goes, is to buy quality over quantity.

Right now I am going to get an early night...

Happy sewing
Or not sewing as the case may be

Val.




12 comments:

  1. Still it is good to experiment with patterns and fabric and you still have a lovely cool dress. I have seen the little bluebird fabric and I almost got some ( and then thought of my burgeoning fabric cupboard)because it is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's still a great little dress! Like your color blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colours on you and the print combination very much. Have a great day fabric shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a nice loose summer dress now. I think your 9050 choice will be better for fitted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find these types of dresses are very versatile. They look good but also are comfortable, especially when it's hot. Love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing our Summer humidity, your dress is going to be a 'go-to' Summer staple. I hope you show your shopping purchases. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are set for those hot humid days with this dress and agree that your new Vogue looks like it will be a lot more fitted. Hope you are having a wonderful day and wish I could scale back some days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this pattern Val, and your choice of fabrics is lovely. Great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dress. I've just washed two pieces of cotton chintz for summer dresses. Its Time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when those southerly busters hit...

      Delete
  10. Oh, this dress and style are so good on you. Lovely! Sounds like a nice outing with your friend. Warm weather! My favorite, although the cool (62 degrees farenheit) air this morning is very welcome and refreshing. I like that just when the northern hemisphere gets cold, the southern gets warm, so I have fashion blogs with styles for me all year round! I'm so selfish!

    Another note, I think you're so sensible to cut back when you feel work is getting out of hand...and I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco. We must all be connected by cosmic rubber bands..another friend I had not heard from in a while and I are going to do lunch today, but I've still found time for some sewing. Take care!

      Delete