Sunday, 23 November 2014

V9050 Dress


There's been constant sewing going on here but not much blogging. I like doing blog posts but life  dramas and pre-christmas work kept getting in the way.

But today I am finally able to get some photos and do a catch up post.

V9050 is one of a clutch of recently released Vogue patterns and was hidden in amongst much more flamboyant dresses but it caught my eye immediately. I had some fire engine red pure linen in the stash. I decided to try to fade the colour into something more subtle so I soaked the material, which had been re washed for shrinkage, in a tub of hot water with a cup of White King bleach. The result was the orange/brick colour I wanted with some interesting marbling. Success!

Then I measured and adjusted the pattern, made it up with basting stitch and adjusted some more. Going by measurements and guesswork I thought I did not need to do a sway back adjustment as I had plenty of seams to take in and the back seam was already curved.

Well - I Should Know Better but all was not lost. I took the back piece up at the shoulders and cut down the shoulders and back neck by 5'8" to hike up the upper back.

There were other issues at work here, the back neck to waist length was too long and I have a slightly rounded back neck. I had enough ease at the armholes as I had added a bit of width at the sides. It worked but my armholes now are a bit too wide at the back at the top of the arms. I am going to go back and fix this. Ah the joys of turning two dimension into something that fits a three dimensional body..

Also, due to my fitness & careful eating regime I keep slowly shrinking. I'm not complaining but it makes fitting a continuing process. Just before the photos were taken this morning I took the upper back princess seams in and the side seams in. Maybe I should have cut a smaller size at the start but taking from is easier than adding to! The aim is to get a fitted look while skimming over the remaining bulgy bits. Challenging but six months ago this dress would not have been flattering on me at all.








I did not line the dress. It has to stay breathable through the Sydney summer and even though it creases as soon as I sit down, it is very comfortable to wear.

Would I make it again, yes, but not right now. There are too many things in the pipe line.

The pattern is ready though, with these modifications:
Altered back neck/shoulders.
Sway back adjustment.
Knee skimming length.
Slanted side seams brought up by 2"

There it is. Regarding the weight loss, I have 2kg left to go, more for medical reasons than vanity although my vanity is coping quite well :))

Weight loss is such a individual thing and there are many factors involved in making it stick but if anyone is interested I'll do a post on how I did it.

Have a good week,

Val.






13 comments:

  1. The dress looks great on you and would love to hear about your diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your weight loss. Such an accomplishment.. Would love to hear how you did it.
    Love your new dress..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks great on you. Your alterations have really paid off. Congrats on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- beautiful dress & red is definitely your color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous dress. So stylish and flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully fitting linen dress. This will be perfect for the summer. Congrats on the weight loss too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so elegant in your beautiful linen dress, Val - Bravo!! Congratulations on your weight loss (not that I thought you needed it), and yes, I'd love to know how you did it. Summer always makes me feel like I need to lose a bit more. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress, the colour looks wonderful with your dark hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That colour is so great on you so good decision (and interesting way to do it). The dress looks great on and well done on the weight loss... I'd love to hear how you did it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is beautiful, you look great in red! I too would love to hear about your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking so pretty in red!!! and so fit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello
    I have just made this dress too and, apart from re-shaping the skirt side seam, it fitted very nicely. Did your pattern piece no. 1 (long CF panel) have the small circle printed - referred to in instructions 4 & 5; mine didn’t and I found it quite difficult to judge just where it should have been. Yours looks lovely in red..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello
    I have just made this dress too and, apart from re-shaping the skirt side seam, it fitted very nicely. Did your pattern piece no. 1 (long CF panel) have the small circle printed - referred to in instructions 4 & 5; mine didn’t and I found it quite difficult to judge just where it should have been. Yours looks lovely in red..

    ReplyDelete