Saturday, 20 December 2014

NL 6558 & V1349


This post is brought to you by DD and New Look 6558 and DKNY Vogue 1349 (again!)
A couple of months ago we went fabric buying together. DD bought several lovely pieces of silk from The Fabric Store and I bought some lovely fabrics from Tessuti, which I'll make up soon. Anyway,
I made her this little top from New Look 6558. She wanted a sleeveless v neck top and this was in my pattern stash. I enjoy it when things turn out this well. I mean look at that face!





NL 6558

New Look 6558  has been around for a long time and is still available. It includes a top, a jacket, a little camisole, long skirt and wide flowing pants. The sleeveless top is supposed to be lined but DD did not want lining so I bound the edges with self bias tape. I put in a side zip as instructed and added the little bow.  The neckline is just right for a deep v that does not show too much but if I had not bound it and used the full seam allowances it would have been too deep and the straps quite a bit narrower. The under bust seam sits a bit high, I used some of the seam allowance to make the centre of the bust curves sit a bit lower. The top is also very short. I had already added 3cm to the pieces but ended up using a doubled over bias strip to add a touch of length.

I did a sway back adjustment but because DD needed all the ease I could give her at the hips it rides up a tiny bit - in spite of all my pre-measuring of the flat pattern and of DD who said 'It's good for a wearable muslin Mum!' The cheek...

Her next piece of material was a nice beefy digital printed silk crepe and the pattern she requested was - you guessed it - V1349. That pattern keeps returning like a rash :) She wanted it short and 60's retro but in modern fabric. She got it!




Ready to party



V1349

I've done lots of things with this pattern but I have a feeling this is what it is supposed to look like. To quote DD "What makes the dress work is showing some leg Mum'. She may be right. Edited to add that on a figure that more or less follows the patterns dimensions the dress does hang loose and was taken in 1cm at the waist of the back princess seams.





Four sleeps till Christmas!
Happy sewing,

Val.

11 comments:

  1. Two great sewing projects, Val. What a gorgeous girl you have, and how lovely to be able to sew for her as an adult; I am sure, like me, you sewed for your daughter when she was a little girl too. Both the top and dress are beautifully fitted - you are so good at this!! Happy Christmas, Val. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I sewed for her when she was little. The teenage years were hit and miss but she really appreciates my efforts now, but I also think that reflects the fact that my sewing skills are better now :)

      Delete
  2. Super cute - the garments and DD! Loved the pics. Hope you both have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the face says it all! A real hit outta the park!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks fabulous in that dress. She is right about the length!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda T Thanks for dropping by!
    Coco and liza jane thank you and I agree totally - not that I'm biased .. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect fabric and fit can make the simplest of patterns shine just like the smile on your daughters face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great top and LOVE the dress. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work..pleasing our daughters is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are very cute, and your daughter's happy face shows how much she likes them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This dress is absolutely amazing!
      http://www.cantonlace.com/

      Delete