Friday, 16 January 2015

Raglan top Butterick 3030



Readers,

Every now and then I stop at one of my favourite second hand stores in a nearby town. It is a large barn like space with lots of books and it has the best selection of second hand patterns of any place I know. I was looking for swim suit or lingerie patterns because I am concocting a retro style swimsuit for my daughter in an effort to come up with something that matches her sketch & description. More on that later.

While I was at it I found Buttterick 3030 to make DD a work top from material that she had bought. She just wanted something simple, pull on, wash and wear. She liked it so I made this.



I modified the back by putting in a CB seam and a sway back adjustment. Then I put two vertical darts for a little bit of waist definition.


Butterick 3030, now OOP 



I haven't had a chance to see the top on DD. It was a quick make and something she needs that will not look 'wilted' at the end of the day. If it works there may be requests for more ..

The pattern's now out of print. I did a search and it is surprisingly difficult to find a simple raglan sleeve top pattern for wovens rather than knits but I'm sure there are raglan sleeve dress patterns that could be modified.

Edited to add I just came across Simpicity 1195 cocktail dress  It has raglan sleeves and princess seams. It's just too cute as a dress though ..

Happy sewing,

Val.


14 comments:

  1. So cute and what great fabric. Bet that color would be stunning on you - are you sure you want to give it to DD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those OOP patterns are the very best! Cute top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like that top!!! I'm going to see if I can find that pattern too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute.Bet your daughter is loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank ladies.
    Coco, I can do red but rarely wear it. It feels like it is wearing me! There may be a top for me from some other fabric though. She gives me ideas!
    Judi, there is the Belcarra top from Sewaholic but there are also lots of tutorials on the net for 'drafting your own raglan top' if you google it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty top. Your DD is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of little tops like these. I love the bird fabric - I've been looking forever for bird fabric to sew for myself but had no luck. Where did she get the fabric? Oh yes and ditto a very lucky girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janinw. She got it from Spotlight.

      Delete
  8. What a cute top, and with birds, too! Isn't it strange, when the ready-to-wear clothing shops are full of raglan and magyar sleeves, there are few in the Big 4 pattern books. Butterick should re-issue 3030 which is a fantastic looking pattern with good variations. My fave pattern this summer is Burda 7646, the only simple raglan top/dress pattern I could find. Used it three times and planning a fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the big 4 underestimate the number of people who are getting back into woven tops that are not shirts.

      Delete
  9. I never seem to find sewing patterns in opshops anymore - care to share your source? This is actually a great pattern if you look beyond the daggy illustration, as your blouse shows! Plus I love woven raglan sleeve tops, they are my weakness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Mission Australia, 4/5 Harbord Road Woodbine NSW 2560

      Delete
  10. That big boxy top on the pattern is very contemporary. I like your DD's top.

    ReplyDelete