Sunday, 1 February 2015

Jalie Control Briefs 2572


Hi everyone.

Would you believe I have never sewn a pair of knickers up until now? These are actually knickers-as-swimwear commissioned by my daughter but they may have made me change my mind about the future of sewing underwear. They were easier than I thought.

The pattern is Jalie 2572 which I thought it had gone out of print but it is still for sale on the Jalie website

Like I said, the pattern was made up out of shiny black dance lycra from Spotlight as retro style bikini bottoms for my daughter. The gusset was lined with swimsuit mesh and the waist and legs finished with  elastic that I zig-zagged on, then folded over to the inside and then zig zagged again. She wanted the tummy panel and all and was very happy with them. There's nothing new under the sun ;)



Front



Back (excuse the wrinkles, my lycra got sat on before it was made up!)



Regarding the sizing I measured in the flat and then compared  a 'proper' swimsuit bottom then traced off the appropriate size but added 5/8" at the side seams for ease because control briefs are designed for squeeze not ease! I also added 5/8" along the top at the waist for turning down the elastic.

The pattern came together easily and the leg line which looked a bit odd when I was tracing it off works like a dream. It's a modest (read 'retro') snug but surprisingly comfortable leg line.

Needless to say they'd be fabulous as control briefs and the next time I need some in black (I've got some RTW ones in nude) I'll use this pattern.

The shaping shorts that are also in the pattern look like they could be lengthened to be used as thigh shapers under skirts.

Quite a nifty pattern really.

Edited to add:   The pattern consists of  Control Briefs, Shaping shorts and a Waist Clincher thing that looks like a back support!

It does not include the bra or the little exercise top (I wish it did!)

That's all for now,

Val.

17 comments:

  1. That is a nifty pattern. I'm interested. I don't feel a huge pull to sew my own swimsuit but I have several swimsuits where the tops fit but I could use new bottoms. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great pattern! I have yet to sew any up myself -- even though I have several patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were going to discontinue it so grab it now. Jalie drafting is excellent.

      Delete
  3. These look great. Ive yet to venture properly into underwear making. It looks a good pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louse thanks for commenting. I just edited my post to say the pattern does not include the bra or the top..underwear may be more fun than I thought.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you've also tried Jalie's shapewear pattern. It's a nifty pattern and I agree that it's a handy pattern to have.
    http://www.cleverthinking99.com/2014/10/jalie-shapewear.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea to use that pattern for swimmers and after seeing velosewers, I purchased the pattern, as yet not made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she drew my attention to this pattern as well.

      Delete
  6. Very impressive, these knickers look so professional, Val, and also very comfortable. I haven't made knickers for years, but used to make lots when my kids were little and stretch sewing was all the rage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah The old 'Stretch and Sew' classes from knitwit. I could never get the hang of it then, I'm not sure why.

      Delete
    2. My mother actuall taught these classes, Val. She had her whole town stretch sewing back in the 70s!

      Delete
    3. I remember other people making nice garments after those classes. We'll blame my mother's clunky machine ;

      Delete
  7. Impressive! I had no idea there were patterns out there for control and shape wear -- those things are pretty pricey when you buy them in stores. I'm not a knits person (more fails than successes!) so it may take a while for me to try this out, but I know who to turn to for guidance when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val! Nice to 'see' you online. I am making a pair with an elevated waist to help support my tummy since my abs have seperated during pregnancy #3 (we are expecting her arrival any day now till early March).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katharine! Congratulations on number three! I hope the arrival is an easy one.

      Delete