Friday, 27 March 2015

Burda 7783



This is a remake!




Burda 7783 modified

I've made this dress from left over material and the skirt part of an old dress, pictured below. Click this for my review of M6069. First I removed the skirt from the top. I unpicked the skirt sides then joined the two parts together top to bottom then recut it to become the back of the new dress. I had enough of the rose material to make the front and the sleeves.



M9069 was popular when I made it and I jumped on the bandwagon. I wore the dress several times and enjoyed it but it was hard to make it work, you know, so it had been in the 'I'll do something with it one day' pile for  some time.
The thing is I  knew that I can do cowl tops with straight skirts, or simple tops with gathered skirts, just not both at the same time but I was seduced by how knockout it had looked on other reviewers. Have any of you been there?

But back to the Burda pattern, which had been in my stash for a while too. I love the lines of this pattern, just not the pocket darts or the Star Trek neck or the eeny weeny gathered sleeves. I like the curved seams going into pockets and the raglan sleeve so I simplified it to keep these elements for the rose knit. The pattern is designed for wovens but is close fitting so I made it up in the size I would normally use instead of going down a size as is recommended when you go from a woven to a knit. I unpicked the skirt of M6069 joined the two parts together then recut it to become the back of the new dress.





The back is simply cut on the fold and without the darts. I placed the joining seam across the back matching the level where the pockets meet the sides.




I narrowed sleeves at the bicep, pinching the gathering out then lengthening them. I did a bound neckline from a doubled over strip of selvedge cut 6cm shorter than than finished circumference of the neckline.

What would I change? The weight and drape of the ITY knit makes the whole dress drop a little. If I made it again in a knit I would fold out about 4cm from the midline of the front and back pieces.  BTW,  I am short and this would be a mini on most people. I wouldn't mind making it in a woven if I come across the right material in the stash. I keep finding things I forgot I had!


Have a good weekend folks,

Val.


14 comments:

  1. Wow! .... Double Wow! You look smashing in this one, Val :)
    What an incredible save - your talents never cease to amaze me. I think I made M9069 too, and then gave it away. Didn't work for me. Your new rose dress is very chic, and a great look for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Patricia, what a treat to have a comment already. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Great refashion. It's so satisfying turning something that doesn't quite work into something you love. I have done it a few times myself. Your new dress is very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Welcome to my blog!

      Delete
  3. Like your new dress a lot better and I expect it will get a lot more wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it with the remake...the dress is beautiful and fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the updated version. Those are some seriously cool pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great style on you -- much more flattering than the original dress. And your hair is so chic now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for your comment, Val. I am so pleased to have a new friend in you
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. V2 is a great refashion. I always get such a sense of satisfaction when I do such a project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks ladies. I like the new rose dress so much I am making version no 2 from another stash knit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great remake. Lovely fresh looking dress. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! beautiful fabric, nice it continues to please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done a great job to remake the dress into something that you are happy with. Looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete