Sunday, 3 May 2015

Burda 02/2015/128 Top


Hi all! It has been a few weeks between postings. I've been busy with other things although I can't really complain if life gets in the way of sewing when it involves other things I wanted to do. Life is short and I want to live it.

I bought February Burda when it reached the shops here because it had some fresh ideas in it rather than reworkings of previous themes.

One of the beauties is this cleverly pieced slit neck blouse Burdastyle 02/2015/128

If you don't have the magazine this pattern is available as a download. I made it up out of stash crepe and I-forgot-I-had-it satin, both polyesters of some sort, to see how it would sit. I wanted to do the front half of the seeves from the crepe but did not have enough fabric. I also wanted to play with an almost tunic length and ended up with a slight high-low hem which I like.

The pattern  can be traced off in three lengths - crop top, top or dress so I just added the back curve from the crop top and the straight front from the regular length top then added 16cm to the length of the front, the back and the front triange insert, then trimmed the shape a bit before hemming.

I made front and back neck facings rather than just a neckline bias band because my crepe frayed too much and didn't behave itself. Regarding construction I have to admit I did not read the burda instructions, which vex me at the best of times. (Tracing the pttern is bad enough!) But my order was this:  I assembled the front, then the back, then the sleeves then put the sleeves in using the flat method and stitiching the sleeve heads from angle to angle first, then clipping and pivoting the fronts then the backs. I find tricky pivots easier to do in stages! The neck facing was next.  Because of the crepe I used lots of stay stitching. Lastly I did small hems and there it is.







The pattern has a short sleeve as well and some girls on the burdastyle site have made summer tops from this pattern. It lends itself to two sided or border print fabric well with the border used for the back and front triangular insert pieces.

The pattern is in petite 17 to 21 and I  added 2 cm ease to the CF, CB and side seams fearing it would be too small but the pattern is roomy.

This was a bit of fun. I will wear this top, maybe just with blue jeans rather than the full biker outfit yes? But I wil definitely be making it again, possibly from a stable knit.

I have to run to work! Happy sewing,

Val.




13 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love the fabric combo you used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I would not have thought of using satin - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking top and love the way you have used the different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading of your sewing adventures, Val. The top looks great, and very trendy. Perfect with jeans. Combining fabrics is big these days, and I must do more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you've done here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great top! you look so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever use of fabric combination. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valerie, you look way too cool! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this on you. Very rock chic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how you styled this top! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great with the boots

    ReplyDelete