Saturday, 15 August 2015

Paris+ fabric = :))


Hello!

I'm in Barcelona! For the last ten days I've been travelling, first to one of my favourite cities, London for a quick stop. It was hot and crowded but still pulsating with a joyful energy. My DD go to see the Tower of London for the first time and I got to see the Audrey Hepburn photo exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery as well as the BP Portrait Prize which is like their version of Sydney's Archibald Prize.

Then we caught the Eurostar to Paris. We walked or cruised the river to see the sights. We went shopping on the Champs Elysees. It was also hot and crowded and chaotic but fun.

No visit to Paris for me is complete without seeing the Sacre-Coeur basilica  here, the artists square behind it and of course all the material shops down the hill at Place St Pierre, especially Marche St Pierre and Tissus Reine





The square at Place du Tetre behind the basilica of Sacre-Cour is full of artists booths and music and overpriced little eateries...



The tree lined stairs and little streets lead down the hill to the fabric sector..


Then there it is, Paris' centre of fabric shopping amazement.


Marche St Pierre and Tissus Reine have been joined by about a dozen - no exaggeration - other smaller material shops in the vicinity! 

I fell in love with some silk and some bold wax print.





The silk is not what I was looking for but when I held it against my skin I did not want to put it down, so I didn't. I am determined not to let it languish in the stash but make it up soon after I get back. Same for the wax print. I already know what I want to do. 

Right now I am going out again to do some evening sightseeing. 
Bye for now,
Val.


11 comments:

  1. How wonderful. I love Marche St Pierre and the Montmartre area.
    Fabric is such a great souvenir: you enjoy it in your stash, you enjoy making it up and then you enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how wonderful! Have (having) a wonderful time. Love all the things. Like Sewingelle says - triple the fun buying fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! As Sewingelle said, fabric makes a wonderful souvenir. Definitely take time to see La Sagrada Familia. It is worth the expense and wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Val, Barcelona! Can't wait to see your photos, as I'd love to got there.
    omg, I never knew the fabric was down behind Sacre-Cour :( Been there a couple of times and missed out. Well, an excuse to go back to Paris for me. Your fabrics are stunning, and you will have such fun sewing them, and showing us the results! I love those fabric stalls - dream come true :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Patricia just memorise Rue St Pierre, Rue St Pierre!

      Delete
  5. Lucky you! What a fabulous trip and gorgeous fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous! I love London and Paris - it is such fun to see your pics and remember my own visits there. And you got such cool fabrics in Paris - gorgeous. I bet you're really enjoying this trip, know you love to travel. More pics pls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky lucky you. I have some tweedy boucle from my paris trip in 2013 from the same area - the shop with the little models. Must make this up soon as an excuse perhaps to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janine. That's Tissus Reine that has the little manequins. I have some boucle from the shop across the street - can't remember the name - from about four years ago. I am going to sew it up. It's 'marinated' long enough!

      Delete
  8. I was in Paris in 2012 and found a noticeable decline in the quality of fabric in all the shops on in this area when I revisited a few weeks ago. Check my latest post for where to buy great antique buttons in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Paris it is a gorgeous city and a visit to Rue St Pierre is a must but the views from every corner and behind you are amazing. Can't wait to see what you make with the silk.

    ReplyDelete