Monday, 31 August 2015

Sewing Again



Dear Readers,

I have almost come down to earth after my travels. My body clock has been reset. I have to get to work hideously early tomorrow. I've been catching up with family and friends, showing them photos. I've even cut out one of my Barcelona materials for a top using M7093. Soon it will be spring here and there are warm days to look forward to. The pattern for the top I am making can be seen
here

Why do I feel like I could happily pack my bags and go travelling again? I am  already dreaming of my next trip and how to save for it. There must be tribal nomad in my background.

However it's time to stay put for a while and sort out my priorities. Sew up my travel stash. I have also been catching up with the goings on of the sewing blog world. There seems to be a lot of talk about the decline in blogging activity, decline in comments, the attrition of several indie pattern companies. It's all part of the natural cycle of things. Boom, bust. High tide, low tide. Ebb and flow. If blogging was part of a me-too popularity contest I was never part of it. I write this blog as if it were an open letter to a few sewing friends. I really think that's what it is and will probably remain. As for Indie's there been a lot of jumping off bandwagons with people saying 'show me value for money' instead of 'oh a new T-shirt isn't that fabulous'.

It could just be a coming of age. Online is so different from the nuts and bolts of learning to sew in person and grappling with a three dimensional body but it's also the greatest boon to sewing that I can think of. A world of knowledge and communication at the fingertips.

Blogging will survive. The better Indie's will survive. Everyone's just getting more choosy.





Travel inspires me.

What inspires your sewing?

Val





12 comments:

  1. Thanks for your down-to-Earth perspective on the sewing blog world - I totally agree.

    Traveling tends to inspire me more towards cooking, but then again, I haven't ventured too far since I took up sewing again. However, I foresee travel fabric shopping in my future… Looking forward to seeing your post-travel makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen L. Travelling is the perfect excuse for eating And fabric shopping!

      Delete
  2. What inspires me? Other blogs, travelling, watching people on the streets, and the desire to learn!
    Good to have you back and looking forwards to seeing what you do with all that new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! People watching is a favourite pastime of mine too.

      Delete
  3. Love this post, Val. Glad you're back home - and dreaming of your next trip. I know you'll do it! Looking forward to your top, I've needed to see this pattern actually made up and worn. Have you noticed how many bloggers are just showing their garments on forms and hangers? what's up with that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Coco. I have seen the top made up and liked it. Re photos of garments on forms or hangers it's good for details and certainly better than not doing a photo at all. Like you I prefer seeing a photo of the garment on the wearer.

      Delete
  4. That is a nice top pattern Val, very contemporary. I love sewing blogs, but yes, some disappear and you wonder why. My sewing has definitely improved since I began reading other sewist adventures in the blogs. I get inspired too by travel, magazine spreads, shop windows..and people watching, definitely. I need to get started on the summer sewing also. Look forward to seeing your top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I'd forgotten about magazines! I guess we find inspiration everywhere.

      Delete
  5. Travel definitely inspires me. Next stop Japan in March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! The land of Kimono and lovely fabric. Lucky you!

      Delete
  6. Ugh, I wrote a long comment but it got eaten. So I'll just say that I'm excited to read about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry your comment got eaten. Maybe blogger was playing up because I was writing a post! always good to hear someone likes reading about my travelling..

      Delete