Thursday, 3 September 2015

McCall's 7093 Top


Hello from my not very glamorous Sydney balcony. I've sewed up the first of my travel materials using McCalls 7093 here  a pattern for a pieced, raglan sleeved high/low hem tops. I had seen this on a blog made up in a knit and liked it but silky or floaty wovens are recommended on the back of the envelope:  Crepe de Chine, Charmeuse, Chiffon, Georgette. I always wonder if they mean the silk variants of all these..
Anyway I have made it up in a pretty poly with digital print London scenes. See the Tower Bridge in the back view? I'm happy with the result and am thinking about digging out some 'too pretty to use' floaty silk georgette from a previous travel stash. (Got to get over my fear of ruining it and just do it already...)

The pattern is also crying out for some contrast piecing to bring out the design. I brought back a Desigual top from overseas and it's a clever mix of plain/patterned  knit/woven all in the same garment and I can see the possibilities to do similar things using this top and bits from my stash. I will have to start rummaging!




I used a size 14. My only alteration was to modify the front hem curve by lowering it by 2" at the centre front and drawing a new curve through the front and side front pieces but still using the original hem for the back. I like where it sits.

I used the view with the short sleeve. It is cut very curved almost like a cap sleeve. I'll straighten the curve out to bring it down an inch over the upper arm in future versions.

This is a nice summer top pattern. As for now I'm typing this in a sweat shirt. It's still cool here this morning!

Happy Sewing,

Val.

9 comments:

  1. What delicious fabric, Val, and yes, I see Tower Bridge. I have always had a soft spot for an architectural/geographic print. (see New York skirt :) That is a very nice pattern, definitely one to investigate. Great sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when clothes adapt to us. Great top.
    Thank you so much for your comments, Valerie.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top. Now I'm feeling ashamed. I haven't even blogged about my latest overseas stash maintainance activities, let alone moved the fabric into the stash or even, gasp, sewed it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your fabric choice, the print is beautiful. Very nice top, you did a great job.
    See me @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh la! so cute. Love how you've changed the lines in the front hem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I knew how to sew, I can hardly sew a button on! You are so talented! Beautiful top, brava!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you sewed some of your trip fabric already! Great top!

    ReplyDelete