Saturday, 12 September 2015

Pieced version of McCall's 7093


Hi all,

The great thing about sewing is that if you like a pattern you can rattle off a few renditions of it. I have already blogged about M7093 here, made  in a floaty poly and was happy with it. DD requested a top from her travel material which I made and she loved it but I forgot to take pictures :(

Anyway, I started pulling all sorts of remnants and pieces out of my stash to make a pieced version and they all looked too disjointed somehow so I looked at the cover photo to figure out why it worked..  McCall 7093 image  and came to the conclusion that it was basically all tone on tone and I was trying to throw together too many colours.

So, I got out the small black and white print rayon bought on my travels for the back and centre front, some semi sheer white for the sleeves, black knit stash-leftover knit for the front side inserts and leftover yellow stripe knit from the top in my previous post and hey presto, something that was pleasing to the eye as far as colour went.

I found that woven for the body and knit for the sides was a good combination. I have a RTW which gave me the idea.

M7093, Pieced.









Alterations: this top is 3 cm shorter than the previous one - folded out through the lengthen/shorten lines. I added a CB seam and sway back adjustment while I was at it. The sleeve was modified by bringing down the centre of the curve by 1 cm then made a  little rolled hem and it didn't ripple. Hint:  Do it before sewing the side seams.
The pocket was modified to follow my redrawn hemline. I had previously redrawn it to bring the centre front down by 6 cm, tapering to the sides.

p.s There are lots of reviews of this pattern on Pattern Review

It's  good stash buster! But now there are other things to try.

Happy Sewing
Val.

5 comments:

  1. A great combination of colours and you have the perfect top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put together Val - it takes talent to make a good print mix, and you have made excellent choices. You are well on the way with the Summer tops, and I need to follow suit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute.. The pieced version is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is adorable on you! and I like the colors as well, you look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a great scrap buster! Love the pockets.

    ReplyDelete