Saturday, 3 October 2015

V9112 Marcy Tilton Dress


Sydney's having an early spring heatwave. People are flocking to swimming pools and beaches. The transitional season clothes have been pushed to the back of the wardrobe - not put away - next week we may need them again!

But for now it's all about dresses.

I've made up V9112, Marcy Tilton's quirky trapeze dress.  Vogue 9112









This was really a wearable muslin. I ran it up out of lime green cotton seersucker - crisp but drapey, double sided -  bought at a 40% off sale at Spotlight. I cut a medium according to my measurements. Once I saw it was going to work I added dark green cotton paisley self made bias topstitched on to bring out the design lines.

I considered making the dress without the collar but it needs it to balance the flounces.

I did a sway back adjustment and made the dress a bit shorter than the pattern. My original hem was 5/8". I just flipped it over again and topstitched.

It's airy, it's swishy. No zips to weigh it down and it has pockets. What's not to love?

No doubt there will be another version of this dress made as soon as I find a material - preferably from the stash - that suits.


Val.

13 comments:

  1. So very pretty! and Valerie, this looks wonderful on you. Great color and the flounces are in just the right place, the dress looks so balanced. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Coco, this looks lovely on you Valerie and will be perfect for the predicted summer scorcher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun dress, and looks cool and gorgeous on you Val. One of my favourite colours too. I saw on the news it will be so hot in Sydney tomorrow, worse than here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great dress! I love the addition of the bias tape. You look great swishing around:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great on you - and the perfect shape for a Sydney heatwave! I will have to put this pattern on my sewing wish list...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone. Yes, it's going to be 35 degrees in Sydney today. Time to carry sunscreen in my bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. My friend has made this up as well - obviously a real winner- hers looked really good too . It looks a bit different , loose but not shapeless .

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks lovely to wear, fun, airy and flattering, and an interesting shape. I have this pattern and would love to get around to making it (things keep getting in the way). Now you have given me more inspiration because it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this so much. I was seriously eyeing this pattern when it came out. Love it in seersucker! Looks perfect for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress definitely needs the collar. It looks great and perfect for the really hot summer that I suspect is ahead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have had some fun with this dress, it looks great and very smart for a very hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I am just getting my hands on this pattern in the current Spotlight sale and seeing your version has me very excited to sew my own. Such a great dress!

    ReplyDelete