Saturday, 7 November 2015

V9067 View C top



Hi! I've just made - and worn - the View C top from Vogue Five Easy Pieces pattern V9067
I liked this pattern when  first saw it - from Fall 2014 - and I bought it with the View A colour blocked top in mind then got pleasantly distracted, as you do, by other patterns.

The ruffle sleeved top does not present as well in the envelope photographs and quite frankly in white it looks a bit like a hospital smock. Then I saw it made up on the V9067 on the Tessuti blog and thought aha it can work.

I made out using the voile I tie died using the Shibori method, see this post, by putting centre front and back seams on all the pieces except the front flounce and the sleeve flounces. The print was busy enough to hide the added seams. This top is a material hog with two curved bias front flounces and a long flounce across the back.




Changes:

I sewed a medium throughout and did not do any alterations to the shape of the pieces, only to the construction. The sleeve ruffles are cut on the straight grain and even though the pattern piece curves gently the sleeves stick straight out at the shoulder seam. If you self line them as the pattern says to they would stick straight out even more. Anyway, I did not have enough material to line them so I did them as one layer and narrow hemmed them.

The armholes are very deep. I raised them by 5/8" both front and back and eased the sleeve in, to give them a slightly softer fall.  When I make it again I am going to try cutting them out on the bias instead.

I raised the neckline a little bit by keeping 1/4" of the seam allowance to wrap the bias strip facing over then stitching it down. While I was at it I closed the back opening by overlapping the ends of the neck facing instead of using a button and loop as it says to in the pattern, as I had no trouble pulling the garment over my head.

Will I make it again. Yes! I wore it out to lunch with a friend who thought I'd bought it. Sweet!







The conclusion. I like the top, it's summery and breezy. the sleeves are growing on me. I might leave them as is on the next version. What do you think?

Happy sewing,

Val.

10 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous, lovely floaty top Val. It does look much better than the envelope photos - and well done for spotting its potential. I was not at all attracted to the look of it - silly me! Great sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! love that you tie-dyed the fabric. cutting the sleeves on the bias is such a good idea, I'm going to tuck that away in my diminishing memory bank :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flared sleeves draw your eye to that horizontal plane making that the widest part of your body even if it isn't. Making a top with cut-on sleeves always has this dilemma...what will the hem do...mostly stick out no matter what length we decide upon. The fabric is just delicious and the deep color is just lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. I am definitely going to try cutting the sleeve ruffles on the bias on the next version and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to meet you the other weekend. Love your new top and the tie-dyed fabric is perfect summer Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail. I enjoyed meeting you too!

      Delete
  6. I have this cut out in voile at the moment and only hope that mine looks half as good as yours! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will. I look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this top. I showed it to my Mum and thought it looked fantastic (she even requested that I do it as my next DIY for your home project!). I hope I get the same lovely results as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new top looks so cool and fresh.

    ReplyDelete