Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Burda 7659 Pleated Dress


Animal prints are a favourite of mine, along with stripes and florals and plains and...ah you get my drift. Anyway there's always an animal print  in the stash and this ocelot print cotton was waiting for the right pattern.

I first saw burda 7659 on coco's loft in 2012 and it's taken me too long to make up this pattern because it's a good one for tropical heat. It is a swingy a-line dress with three front box bleats, back zipper and a self lined curved yoke. The box seats are sewn closed for 4" which gives the dress a bit of shaping. There are inseam pockets. The yoke is supposed to be interfaced. My material was firm enough, I didn't do this. The armholes are finished off with bias strips. By the way the pattenr's instructions for constructing the pockets are clumsy. I find that attaching the pocket pieces, pressing them outwards then doing them in one go along with the side seams works better than the three step fiddle that they recommend.






Burda 7659, brought to you by my new favourite piece of jungle
and a giant Moreton Bay Fig.

Would I sew it again. Yes. The dress has shape without needing a belt but is loose enough for hot days.

I've been on a buying blitz. I bought two patterns yesterday for $5 each that I'd had my eye on for a while at the Spotlight sale (all patterns but Vogue). I've just received a box from EOS which made me very happy! I've bought material for a quilted jacket. I also bought a gorgeous winter weight jersey at Spotlight two days ago, so that's it!

I feel satisfied that I have everything I need to sew the next six months of projects at least.

Have a happy jungle trek,

Val.






7 comments:

  1. so cute! love the print. Isn't this a great pattern! Yours makes me want to make another. It's fun to sew. Looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco. You keep discovering dress patterns for me :)

      Delete
  2. Light and breezy, the perfect dress for summer...love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment mrsmole and thank you for the link on your blog.

      Delete
  3. I love the big pleats. And how they are sewn down at the top. Fun dress! Looks perfect for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the design details on your dress and love that gorgeous jungle location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the big pleats too and I'm also a huge fan of jungle prints.

    ReplyDelete