Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Simplicity 1318 Kimono Jacket



Kimono jackets have been around for a while now and this pattern  Simplicity 1318 * was on my to do list all last year. I've only just made it up and I'm glad I did. It's a lovely pattern and it makes up well as a light layer to throw on in unpredictable weather and boy haven't we had that. Sydney has been having constant rain for the last week and it's been cold/ humid rather than real cold, if you know what I mean. It's good to dress in layers because you could be boiling by the end of the day.

*BTW Simplicity please put a search box on your website as it's clunky and crowded and time consuming to navigate.

But back to the kimono. I first saw it here on Erica Bunker's site. That lady makes up the latest thing when it's current. Me, I go 'that's nice', get the pattern then don't sew it till a year later. Must do something about that lol.

I had some burn out poly velour in the stash. It was hidden so deep I didn't find it until I'd rifled through all six tubs of fabric muttering 'I know it's in here somewhere.
But just as well, because I found the black satin that I used as contrast trim because I didn't have enough. Fortuitous.












Shot indoors because it's raining..

The pattern is quick and easy to put together but do add the notches rather than ignoring them because on garments of this type everything looks kinda the same till it all comes together.
I had to shorten the back curve by 3cm tapering to the side seams to bring it into proportion on me because I'm short.

I made the body up on the serger, then assembled the front & neck band and used the walking foot to attach it to the body and finished the edges with the serger. Same with the sleeve bands. The walking foot saved me a lot of hassle because the velour had stretch and the satin didn't.

Would I sew it again? Yes if the right material came along. Speaking of which my resolution is to buy sparingly and with intent, not on impulse. Get what I need. Sew what I have.

We'll see how that goes :)

Happy sewing,

Val.

11 comments:

  1. Your jacket looks lovely - I actually made it up as part of my Christmas outfit last month! I'm the same as you - see a fabulous pattern on someone else. Finally track it down (our fabric shops in Canada don't sell Simplicity), let it ruminate in the stash for a good year or two, and then finally make it up before it goes completely out of fashion! Love the idea of fabric you have used - I used black linen and lace sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely and trendy jacket Val. I have wondered about the kimono look myself, and am another who takes a year or more to catch up with the trend, while the patterns sit there looking at me. Good old walking foot - don't know how I'd manage without it. Isn't the rain incredible??? We are in Katoomba, like drowned rats :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific! This looks great on you, love the color, the leggings, super outfit. I know what you mean about the weather...we're 'cool' in the 60's and it's raining. I'm not complaining - don't need to water the lawn or garden. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great kimono jacket. I've planned to sew one for ages too. Happy New year to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello friends!
    TwoToast thank you for commenting and welcome to my blog
    Patricia it's clearing up today! Fingers crossed
    Coco Sydney is feeling more and more sub-tropical these days
    Marie-Noelle I would have sewn it sooner if I knew what a handy garment it was

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it ! I really want to make one. Spotlight is apparently having a sale on patterns 3 for $10. I went to the simplicity site to make a list - terrible site now - and put this pattern down. My closest spotlight is 1 hour away - I hope I can get there because seeing your kimono is sending me a sign ! Glad you found your burnout fabric- I believe all fabric has a time and place and it has obviously been waiting for this pattern. A very lengthy comment to say I really like your kimono.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Janine. Spotlight has online ordering too ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute kimono :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I love it! Now I want a kimono in a burnout velour. Cool fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buying garments as I need them has always been in my New Year’s resolution every year but every year, I fail to practice it (mostly because I always get additional resources for inspiration). LOL! Lovely kimono by the way! I made something similar but using a different pattern for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely! And it's versatile too. Looks like you can wear jeans or a nice black dress with it for a date night. Great job!

    ReplyDelete