Saturday, 6 February 2016

M7093 with eyelet lace overlay



Hello readers. I'm back! I've been in a place of reinvention and of choosing the direction in which I want to go in my personal and working life. Actually my creative life as well. Everything. Stressed out. I've applied for a new job. I've set some ground rules with a few people. I've disassociated myself from someone who was trying to rip me off financially. I've come up with a life plan. I'm even going to sew with a plan and fill some wardrobe holes.

In the middle of all this I died my hair orange. I was going to let it go grey but I saw enough of what it'd look like to tell you it ain't gonna happen. Not this year anyway.

So what have I been sewing..well after basics and a number of wadders I managed to take inspiration from something I saw at Veronica Maine and set to work on making something beautiful. Finally.
The top in the link isn't the exact top that I saw which did have a lace overlay and raglan sleeves but it gives off much the same vibe.

I modified M7093 by rejoining the side panels and drew a curve up one side for the overlay. The raglan cap sleeves were a bit tight on me in previous versions so I added a bit of width. At the centre back I added a seam and sway back adjustment. I made a regular hem instead of the hi-lo.

I used lightweight pure linen for the body and some eyelet lace material from The Fabric Store for the sleeves and overlay. The lace was bought last year because I could not resist it. It's beautiful quality. Now I had a project for it.










I photographed the top with black jeans for contrast but it goes well with all my little colourful skirts too. Goes with anything really. I did flat felled seams as I'm not a fan of French seams.  Also the good thing is I've got some eyelet left over. I'm sure when the time is right I'll use it to accent something else. I was wary using eyelet lace would turn out too bridal/girly but to my relief it didn't.

During my blog hiatus I ordered six (yes six) patterns online and I bought some beefy silk/cotton  for this beauty:   




V1493  This pattern is my current kimono crush. I saw it on the McCalls blog. Isn't it gorgeous?

Keeping on sewing while watching the mail box,
Val.


10 comments:

  1. Happiness is having you back, seeing how great you look (love your hair), and knowing you corralled all those things and people.

    And the top is so very pretty. Also glad you ordered patterns! It's uplifting all by itself. The kimono pattern got me as well, although I've resisted so far. Pretty cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you back - and I can relate to the orange hair! Well done with knowing when to stop, take a breath, reassess and make changes. That's a big step and an important one. I hope that you're feeling really pleased with yourself.
    The top is gorgeous. And yes, I plan on making that jacket too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome back and well done from me too on the life changes, it take a lot of courage! love the gorgeous top and the fabulous red hair.
    linda in melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's pretty. I hope you make the Vogue kimono. I've been eyeing that pattern too, but have way too many projects in my head and on the table already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Val, so happy to see you back, and moving forward wonderfully. Well done on the life reorganisation front, and your orange hair is a treat. So chic. As for your lace top, it is absolutely exquisite, and yes will work with everything. Win Win. Good luck with the job application, fingers and toes crossed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, it sounds like you have made some very positive changes. Tough to do but I'm sure they will make you feel absolutely reinvigorated. I know what you mean about the hair - every now and then my partner suggests I let my hair go grey but it is so very ageing and I'm not ready to be an oldie just yet! Your top looks lovely and I'm sure that jacket will be gorgeous - I bought it too but I don't know when I'll get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about eyelet looking bridal but when combined with linen fabric and asymmetry, it looks modern and fresh. The top looks great on you. I like your "orange" hair too. I bought that jacket pattern too after seeing the Vogue blog post, and following the link to the Pinterest page which had wonderful, detailed photos of the trim and interior finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone.
    Audrey, I am just learning my way around Pinterest. I will be linking to there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty top and I love the new hair colour...it takes years off you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the top. I have some white eyelet in my stash, didn't know what to make and now I do!!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete