Saturday, 30 April 2016

Mr Fox Scarf

Hi there!

I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy. Mainly I've been sewing basics, like another pair of Vogue 9067 pants, (see previous post) this time View E with a tapered leg that I will try to get around to photographing and posting .. not ground breaking territory! But this is. I am doing my first ever crochet project that I can't wait to finish and wear. I mucked about with crochet as a kid - my mother was speedy and prolific - but I found it confusing and never went on with it.  There is also the fact that the terms vary from country to country. I am going to stick to the UK ones and I'm learning to follow patterns properly but  I was determined to make the Mr Fox pattern designed by Bee's Knees Knitting

My beginner efforts are here..


I had help from a Learn to Crochet book I bought while buying the yarn but even so, for his nose and head I ended up making it up as I went along, following the general shape, working with two threads rather than the three like the pattern says. I'd never turned around before let alone joined sections  but I am learning more with every stitch, enough to tell you the pattern is good, all variations are due to my er..creative.. efforts. If I started again now he would look more like the author intended but I am not undoing him.



Yarn- I went to Lincraft and Spotlight looking for 'fox' coloured yarn and found this rust coloured 'Harley BBB' in Lincraft but there was no decent black or cream in that brand so I bought Cleckheaton California 8 ply in Black and Butter Cream for the accents. It's beautiful but a slightly looser twist and is and harder to undo, (there was a lot of undoing, especially starting off the legs) but I'm getting there.



I'll show you Mr fox when he is finished, draped around my neck. I'm sure he's got dozens of perfectly made cousins around the world but I love him anyway!

Happy creating,
Val.




4 comments:

  1. I Love Your Fox!!! What a fantastic crotchet project, and will be an absolute hoot to wear out and about. Serious jealousy going on here :)) You are onto a winner dear Val. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patricia. I always wanted a fox stole but didn't want to wear a real one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute. And you did great for a first project! Mine first was full of hole :-) Like you, I started as a little girl, I was making clothes for my ginny doll. gosh, such a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Coco. My first and last attempt at knitting sox (as a child) was full of holes. I must try to tackle sox again just to see if I can do it!

    ReplyDelete