Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Revamp of Burdastyle 09-2007-104 Coat


Hi everyone.

Do any of you mull things over, put them on the Yeah-when-I-get-to-it list then find yourself doing the  thing almost subconsciously at a later date then go 'Why didn't I get around to it sooner?' In my own defence I am not usually a procrastinator. For the last few weeks a new job has taken all my energy but yesterday I had a day off mid week and the result was getting time to take 4 1/2" (11cm) off the length of this coat.


Burdastyle 09-2007-104






The wrinkles are still falling out of the fur. 






The 'Before' I remember it was mid summer, hot and rainy. After the photos I ran inside to the air conditioning!


The coat was blogged about here  I made it knee length and hardly ever wore it, much as I loved it. I want a more informal length to get more use out of it. Fur, real or fake is in fashion here right now so this was the time to get out the scissors and the vacuum cleaner. and shorten it. The cool (by Sydney standards) weather is continuing so I hope to wear this to a party on Saturday night. This coat - I guess I should call it a jacket now - will definitely see more daylight. I want to swan around Pitt Street mall* wearing it.

By the way if you have the issue of Burda, this is a classic and well drafted raglan sleeved coat pattern. I saw a character in a TV show last night wearing a summer coat out of black printed Japanese crepe that was virtually identical.



Line drawing and model from the burdastyle.ru archives


I'm toying with the idea of keeping the offcut, lining it and putting hooks and eyes on the piece and the coat hem and having the option of attaching the piece as an extension. See post in three years time haha ;)

Have a good week,
Val.

*where all the designer shops are

SaveSave

8 comments:

  1. Looking good Val. I can see you will get more wear out of your beautiful coat now it is shortened. It is perfection for the chill in the air right now. I am shivering in sunny Qld. as we speak :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Some of my shifts start before daybreak and I am getting use out of ALL my coats..

      Delete
  2. This is great! and you look great in it. Enjoy your 'swanning' - everyone will be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Sometimes I go to my favourite designer stores just to talk to the staff about what's in fashion and get ideas..they seem happy to have the opportunity to chat!

      Delete
  3. I like the new length - it gives the coat a more "sporty" look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, I see you've been making coats too!

      Delete
  4. Oh I'm a terrible procrastinator - and I have a huge pile of garments that only need small modifications :). It looks perfect now, and you must be so pleased to have gotten around to it, especially with our cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have other projects to update too 😏 but I've already had good wear out of the coat

      Delete